• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weaver, Uganda (1 Viewer)

Egretta

Belgium
A weaver seen at Murchison Falls NP, Uganda. The closest species I can find in my guide (Birds of East Africa, Helm, 2nd ed.) is the Northern Masked Weaver (dark eye, mostly unmarked green back), however it is far from it's usual range as indicated on the map (2 disjunct populations in northern and eastern Kenya). However the text says: ... occasionally reported at Murchison Falls NP and near Fort Portal, western Uganda.
So, have I been lucky enough to see this species so far from it's usual range or is it another species? And does anyone know why it is sometimes reported so far from it's usual range in this specific area?

Thanks, Niels

Attachments

• _D5D8533.jpg
    _D5D8533.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14
Your bird is a Black-headed Weaver which is usually a lot less russet on the chest and belly than 'Birds of East Africa' shows. It's fairly common at QENP.

(The black cap in your photo goes far too much behind the bill and down the neck for Northern Masked.)

Also, your bird being in the shade, your camera has made it look darker that it would look in average light:

QENP BF.jpg

Two photos of mine from QENP:

091228222 Uganda.jpg091229618 Uganda.jpg

Last edited:
No I think this is a black-headed weaver, P. melanocephalus. The Fanshawe image differs significantly than the ebird "headline" images which are not as brown underneath.

Edit: note Northern masked has a yellow crown and the edge of its mask is rufous brown

Thank you both! It seems to be Black-Headed Weaver indeed, after looking up a few pictures online. Never in a million years would I have guessed this from the illustration in the guide, so thank you for your help!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back