• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to the Kite Forum (1 Viewer)

Lee, I have investigated different Kite models some time ago, but I have not published it, so I have to dig in my files.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi Gijs
I wish you strong arms and steady head for your digging!

I tried some Kite models at BirdFairs and they were good.

Lee

Hello lee,
This morning I started weight lifting to have enough power for the digging process, it slowly grows to an enormous build-up of muscles.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hello lee,
This morning I started weight lifting to have enough power for the digging process, it slowly grows to an enormous build-up of muscles.
Gijs van Ginkel

I am impressed that you have made such rapid progress Gijs. Take care to keep the muscle build-up symmetrical or you could experience many undesirable distortions and aberrations. You will have completed this programme of muscle improvement when you can climb the Dom Tower!

Lee

Lee and others,
Without a lot of weight lifting I received exciting information about the introductionof of new Kite models.
I will give a short overview of the technical details.
It concerns two new APC (angle power control) stabilized binoculars: 12x42 and 16x42 with roof prisms, battery life 120 hours (built in energy saving).
Some details:
- 12x42: close focus 4 m, FOV 67m/1000m, eyerelief 17 mm, interpupilary distance 54-74 mm, weight 720 g without battery (2xAA), waterproof , 30 years warranty (electronics 2 years), price 990 euros.
- 16x42: close focus 4 m, FOV 68m/1000m, eyerelief 14 mm, interpupillary distace 54-74 mm, weight 735 g without battery (2XAA) , waterproof, 30 years warranty (electronics 2 years), price 1050 euros.
The binoculars are beautifully shaped and by its shape promise a good handling comfort. It will be a pleasure to investigate them.
If you want to read more about it: https://kiteoptics.com/nl/product/244/bino-apc-stabilised
More news undoubtedly will follow upon investigation of the binoculars and user reports.
Gijs van Ginkel

Nice to have more models on the market! And wow, the FOV on the 12x42 is really small. Kite's own 12x30 IS has 90m+ I think, and the Canon 12x30III has 88m I believe.

Nice to have more models on the market! And wow, the FOV on the 12x42 is really small. Kite's own 12x30 IS has 90m+ I think, and the Canon 12x30III has 88m I believe.

That is crazy and seems like a mistake considering the 16x model has a larger fov of 68m/1000m (compared to 67m/1000m for the 12x model), but it's what's stated on their website: https://kiteoptics.com/en/nature/product/244/bino-apc-stabilized-42/

Perhaps they're more bothered about selling the 16x model, which seems more compelling. Though the 12x does have more eye relief. Great to see more image stabalised models coming onto the market. If the eye relief of the 16x works with glasses it could be very tempting.

I personally would probably be more interested in the 12x if I were in the market for another IS bin, but a 46 degree AFOV is really not very appealing. I hope as well that it's an error, but the stated angular field of view and m/1000m numbers correspond.

For convenience, I’ve attached some images from the Kite 12x42 and 16x42 IS page, including one that demonstrates the APC/ Angle Power Control feature (it shows the x30 model)
The page is at: https://www.kiteoptics.com/en/nature/product/244/bino-apc-stabilized-42/

- - - -

The Kite 10x30 and 12x30 IS page is at: https://www.kiteoptics.com/en/nature/product/223/bino-apc-stabilized-30/

And Mike Alibone of Bird Guides has a review of the 12x30 at: https://www.birdguides.com/reviews/binoculars/kite-apc-stabilized-12x30-binocular/

John

Attachments

• x42 Kite 1.jpg
    x42 Kite 1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 15
  • x42 Kite 2.jpg
    x42 Kite 2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 15
  • x42 Kite 3.jpg
    x42 Kite 3.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 13
  • x42 Kite 4.jpg
    x42 Kite 4.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Kite APC.jpg
    Kite APC.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 10
Could that be a typo? In principle the 12x42 should not have a smaller FoV than that of the 16x42...Anyway interesting offerings indeed.

I have just noticed that the diopter compensation range seems to be -/+3d; that's not going to be enough for some people. I hope Kite will increase it to the more common -/+4d.

I'm interested in the Kite 12X42 image stabilized binoculars, and live in Albuquerque, NM. The only dealer anywhere nearby, I no longer live near Ontario, is in Ontario, Canada, and these can be purchased from them through Amazon. My problem is that in reading the return policy (which is not 100% clear to me), it looks like I could have a problem and lose a substantial amount of money if I decided that these were not what I was looking for., and wanted to return them.
I do not mind paying a reasonable shipping charge and even a relatively minor payment to return these, but Red Raven Marketing seems to have some exorbitant charges for returns (maybe?).
Does anyone have experience with this company, or experience with ordering Kite Optics products from a European company?
Thank You
Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back