• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What happened to Tockus pallidirostris? (1 Viewer)

Arbu

I went to the Pays Dogon in Mali in 2004 where, equipped with the Collins Illustrated Checklist to the Birds of Western & Central Africa, I recorded the Pale-billed Hornbill (Tockus pallidirostris), within the range indicated in the book. Now, other than in this book, I can find no reference to this bird, only to a Pale-billed Hornbill of Southern Africa. What happened to it?

The book was pretty wrong on Red-billed Hornbills, incidentally, which I saw, although it only shows them occurring much further south, near the coast, so maybe it's wrong on this too, although it seems odd for a bird to disappear like this.

Last edited:
Angola and s DRCongo to Tanzania and Mozambique is the range of Pale-billed Hornbill, so definitely nowhere near Mali

Very much in Mali according to the book.

Attachments

• Hornbills.jpeg
    Hornbills.jpeg
    725.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Maps.jpeg
    Maps.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 28
Your maps look frelled. Consider: there's an entry for "hornbill" in the second row evidently split from the prior map. The "pale-billed" map is actually for African grey, I think, as it refers to sspp a & b.

According to ebird/Clements pale-billed is now Lophoceros. Maps there indicate it's not in West Africa

I see, thanks. That would explain Red-billed Hornbill as well. It must have been African Grey that I saw then.

Also, note the text for Pale-billed Hornbill describing its habitat as "miombo". That habitat type is found nowhere near West Africa in any strict sense, though there's miombo in southeast DRC.

I think the only hornbills in Mali would be Northern Red-billed and African Grey,, when I lived in Sokoto in n Nigeria they were the only ones we used to see. I'll see if i have that Collins illustrated checklist, maybe not I suspect.

I think the only hornbills in Mali would be Northern Red-billed and African Grey,, when I lived in Sokoto in n Nigeria they were the only ones we used to see. I'll see if i have that Collins illustrated checklist, maybe not I suspect.
Also Western Red-billed (in the west) and African Pied (in the southwest).

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back