• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Kind of New World Flycatcher - SE Arizona? (1 Viewer)

Ruff-Leg

United States
Photographed two days ago in Madera Canyon, AZ. Leaning towards Western Wood-Pewee, but the silent bird didn't act like one. They're usually higher and sallying after insects; this one was at eye level. Wrong habitat for Willow, and much of the rest was wrong for the usual suspects of empids

Thanks!

Ruff-leg

Attachments

• 230324-Madera-38-Edit.jpg
    230324-Madera-38-Edit.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 230324-Madera-31-Edit.jpg
    230324-Madera-31-Edit.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 29
To me it looks more like Dusky/Hammond's (I don't think Gray Flycatcher, but can't totally rule that out). My experience with that species pair is still very much in progress, so I can't make a call without a nice image of primary projection from the dorsal side of the bird. Date favors these options over Western Wood-Pewee, too.

I agree with Dusky/Hammond's. The low contrast throat and grayish chest point us to one of those. I find it extra difficult to be sure of which species it is from this angle. I would give the nudge towards Hammond's as a guess, due to the impression I get of a steep forehead, peaked in the rear, as well as the impression of a short tail, which is somewhat subjective from this angle. If anyone is interested, this seminar by Cin-Ty Lee and Andy Birch is an amazing study resource, and it preceeded (I think) their recently published field guide to empidonax.

I agree with Dusky/Hammond's. The low contrast throat and grayish chest point us to one of those. I find it extra difficult to be sure of which species it is from this angle. I would give the nudge towards Hammond's as a guess, due to the impression I get of a steep forehead, peaked in the rear, as well as the impression of a short tail, which is somewhat subjective from this angle. If anyone is interested, this seminar by Cin-Ty Lee and Andy Birch is an amazing study resource, and it preceeded (I think) their recently published field guide to empidonax.
Thanks, all. Bill didn't look quite right for this pair, but I can go with Hammond's. There was no tail dipping, so probably not Gray. Tail appears notched, although the photo is from a bad angle for that feature. Plus, there's a slight vested appearance, all pointing towards Hammond's. Appreciate the help!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back