• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheatear from Oman (2 Viewers)

Thanks @dwatsonbirder and @Butty.

I had considered Desert (a lifer species for me in Oman) but thought my bird was to grey and had too much black in the wing compared to the females I saw on ebird. But I'm sure you're right, I'm not familiar with it, and certainly makes more sense than my Northern. :)

Tail is all black, pure grey plumage and a cinnamon cast on the cheecks... so why not a Blackstart (Oenanthe melanura)? In Oman it's a common species, in the right habitat.

Ciao, Igor

Last edited:
tail base has white webs to R5 and R6 which are clearly visible, hardly features of Blackstart!
Black median coverts (and contrast between flight-feathers+greater covers and remainder of wing) are clear, but I see no definite visible white on base of outermost tail-feather, let alone 2nd-outermost (t5-t6) - just overlapping white upper- and undertail-coverts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back