• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where would YOU go this weekend? (1 Viewer)

bluesinlondon

OK, so I have an unusually missus-free weekend and want to get some intensive birding in... What's my check-list of top locations to maximise species/interest?

London area - up to the M25 say (and since I live Clapham, there's a slight preference to South of the River)

Is there an element of topicality? Is now a good time to be seeing something specific?

Am already fairly regular at Barnes WWT, but any other suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I went to Stocker's Lake on Sunday...saw my first pair of Bullfinches! :) :) :)

Loads of Common Terns up there now as well as all your usuals...not much on the lakes other than the Herons/Cormorant/Coots/Moorhens/Common Terns/Swans etc...thought I saw a Little Egret over there but seems wrong time of the year and i didn't have a scope :-( Around the lake got Grey Wags/Greenfinch/Chaffinch/Blackcaps/Wrens/Robins/Blue & Great & Long-tailed Tits.

It's just a nice walk :) You can park at Rickmandsworth Aquadrome.

Or my usual patch is Little Britain in Yiewsley/West Drayton (part of the Colne Valley). Always see Chiffchaff's, Blackcaps, the three Tits, Gold, Green and Chaff Finches, Common Tern, Herons, Cormorants. Jay, GS Woodpecker and Trecreeper sometimes appears. This year I've clocked 53 birds in the space of a 20min walk (not all on tge same day obviously :) )

I'm sure there's better places but hat's where I tend to go.

Nige

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back