• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Oriole? Iran, Hormozgan, Feb. 2023 (1 Viewer)

Pedrambirder

Iran
Hi all,
Is it an Eurasian Golden Oriole or sth else?

Attachments

• IMG_20230311_203332.jpg
    IMG_20230311_203332.jpg
    614.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20230311_203257.jpg
    IMG_20230311_203257.jpg
    668.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20230311_203227.jpg
    IMG_20230311_203227.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 32
Well it's make and the black clearly extend behind the eye, so that should make it Indian golden oriole. This came up before (recently); iirc Indian golden oriole is rare there...

Well it's make and the black clearly extend behind the eye, so that should make it Indian golden oriole. This came up before (recently); iirc Indian golden oriole is rare there...
Interesting, as much for the date. I agree with Fern, appears to be Indian. In Uzbekistan theses appear to be a later migrant than Eurasian, which seem to precede them and breed further north. However conversely, it appears that Indian may winter further north, and perhaps this is one of these.

I note that the UAE (just across the Straits of Hormuz if I have my geography correct) doesn't yet have any records, however there is a suspicion that it may have occurred in winter.

Thank you,
For your information, the place I met this species was in Jahad Park, near Bandar Abbas.
About two weeks before my record, in the same place and in two following days, two different observations of odd orioles were also reported by our friends, which one of them was confirmed by IBRC as a Black-naped Oriole (نخستین رکورد کشوری پری شاهرخ چینی در بندر عباس در بهمن 1401 :: کمیته ثبت پرندگان ایران Iran Bird Records Committee).
Actually, we were looking for the same Oriole about half a day n the same area, but I could only find this one which looked different from Orioles I met before.
So if it's an Indian Golden Oriole as you suggested, there have been two interesting species.

Not clearly. I think there is shadow involved because of the lay of the feathers in that area: note how the black is less distinct in pics 1 and 3 where the head is tilted over and the shadow effect is thus reduced.
Thank you,
I'm not familiar to Indian birds, but if the black extending behind the eye is a main key, it is there.
I tried to reduce exposure and increase shadow in Adobe Lr. to make it more clear.
What's your idea?

Attachments

• DSCN2715-2.jpg
    DSCN2715-2.jpg
    832.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN2714-2.jpg
    DSCN2714-2.jpg
    839.9 KB · Views: 15
Iirc, we came to no conclusion about how to definitively distinguish Indian, black-naped and Eurasian Orioles in every case. Here, the black suggests Indian to me but I don't think we can be certain it's not black-naped. My feeling after reviewing ebird photos (I'm not super experienced with any of these species) is that it isn't. I think the combination of bill shape, eye colour and pattern of black suggest Indian over black-naped but happy to be corrected. (Perhaps the apparent yellow mantle/wings contradicts this, but I can't see it well enough to know.)

So I see. One could equally reduce brightness/contrast/shadow to make it less clear.
Thank you,
Cropped ones from three original pics I sent.(no edit)
Also, I think the original pics got good quality to be checked on monitor for more details, if anyone is interested...

Attachments

• DSCN2713.jpg
    DSCN2713.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN2715.jpg
    DSCN2715.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 9
I have to admit it is a few years since I was watching Black-naped, but I would have expected broader black lores and a minimum of a suggestion of black feathering above the eye.

My experience of Indian & Eurasian is much more recent, in the last year in fact. To me the face pattern is what I would expect of Indian.

Fern makes an interesting point about mantle colour. IMHO I can't see enough to be sure, but I don't see much to be worried about. However, my experience in the winter is also minimal in trying to compare/separate the species, although I have seen both

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back