• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodcreeper East Brazil (1 Viewer)

Alex S.

Hi,
This picture was taken near Santa Teresa, about 50 km NW of Vitoria (Espirito Santo, Brazil) at an altitude of 750 to 850 meter. Merlins first guess is a Straight-billed Woodcreeper. According to Ebird and the birdbook the Straight-billed-Woodcreeper is a lowland bird (below 300 meter). The second and third suggestions of Merlin are (Southern) lesser Woodcreeper and Scaled Woodcreeper. Both species don't have an eyebrow like the bird on the picture..... Anyone a suggestion?
Thanks, Alex

Attachments

• IMG_9422.JPG
    IMG_9422.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Hi,
This picture was taken near Santa Teresa, about 50 km NW of Vitoria (Espirito Santo, Brazil) at an altitude of 750 to 850 meter. Merlins first guess is a Straight-billed Woodcreeper. According to Ebird and the birdbook the Straight-billed-Woodcreeper is a lowland bird (below 300 meter). The second and third suggestions of Merlin are (Southern) lesser Woodcreeper and Scaled Woodcreeper. Both species don't have an eyebrow like the bird on the picture..... Anyone a suggestion?
Thanks, Alex
With caveat that I don't know these species...

Bill of straight-billed is completely wrong for the gracile, slightly curved bill in your pic. Suggest not that
None of the headline ebird pics for Scaled have spots on the back. Some of the pics for Lesser do, so I'd go with that.
not clear to me that there are many other options in the area

I wouldn't worry too much about strength of eyebrow, throat patch. This is either (delete as appropriate) a) individual variation or b) a cryptic unrecognised form (of which there are many in woodcreepers). Probably the former, suggest.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back