• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodstar from Cundinamarca, Colombia (1 Viewer)

Thibaud

Hi everybody,
I was in central Colombia last November and made a couple visits to the famous Jardin Encantado, west of Bogota.
I was hoping for Gorgeted Woodstar, and the lovely owner pointed out a male with an incomplete gorget, but still clearly distinct from the White-bellied Woodstar that was also in attendance.
But now someone on inaturalist has suggested that the bird in my photos is in fact Purple-throated Woodstar. Checking at other photos online, it does seem like a good match, but that species has never been recorded at that very regularly visited spot and shouldn't even occur on the Eastern Cordillera!
So, what say the experts?
As always, thanks in advance

Attachments

• woodstar 1.jpg
    woodstar 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • woodstar 2.jpg
    woodstar 2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • woodstar 3.jpg
    woodstar 3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • woodstar 4.jpg
    woodstar 4.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
Hi everybody,
I was in central Colombia last November and made a couple visits to the famous Jardin Encantado, west of Bogota.
I was hoping for Gorgeted Woodstar, and the lovely owner pointed out a male with an incomplete gorget, but still clearly distinct from the White-bellied Woodstar that was also in attendance.
But now someone on inaturalist has suggested that the bird in my photos is in fact Purple-throated Woodstar. Checking at other photos online, it does seem like a good match, but that species has never been recorded at that very regularly visited spot and shouldn't even occur on the Eastern Cordillera!
So, what say the experts?
As always, thanks in advance
The shape of the tail feathers is off, and so is the shade of green but in other respects better for white-bellied woodstar I think. The shape and general plumage disposition looks slightly wrong for purple-throated. For example, the bill of your bird seems longer. Did it wag its tail?

The shape of the tail feathers is off, and so is the shade of green but in other respects better for white-bellied woodstar I think. The shape and general plumage disposition looks slightly wrong for purple-throated. For example, the bill of your bird seems longer. Did it wag its tail?
Hmm unfortunately I don't remember! Damn woodstars...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back