• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

WWT Slimbridge madness (1 Viewer)

condor1992

Spain
It was madness. Got up at 6am, took the train, rode a bike, and there I was, at Slimbridge. Last time I visited, there was a vagrant red-breasted goose present here, which I took photos of, back in 2018. I began with the Peng observatory. There was supposed to be a greater scaup here, but I was blown away by the incredible beauty of the wild tundra swans so much that I just...ignored everything else.
IMG_6479.JPG
IMG_6637.JPG
When I got to the Estuary hide, I noticed something white in the distance. A white goose. But I wasn't here for it- I was here for the cranes. A peregrine flew directly overhead, the reason why everything was so 'brave' out in the wetlands today. Literal clouds of lapwings and dunlins suddenly exploding from out of nowhere suddenly.
IMG_6497.JPG
Then, a flock of much larger birds flew past. White-fronted geese. I knew they were here- they have already been identified as the Russian variant of Anser albifrons. But as I watched, one bird among them caught my attention. It was like an albifrons, except a bit lighter, it had more white on its head, and I think it had a faint indication of a gold ring around its eye. A lesser white-fronted goose, maybe? Perhaps. (Second photo)
IMG_6551.JPG
IMG_6573.JPG
Then, I noticed the star bird. Over the course of a few hours, I watched 15 cranes out on the Dumbles, feeding and flapping lazily about. Cranes were really difficult to see in the past for me, and I was as a result completely blown away by the views I got here today. Definitely the best place in the UK to see this bird.
IMG_6692.JPG
IMG_6731.JPG
As I watched, some people nearby diagnosed a white goose in the distance as a snow goose. It then flew right past, showing its beautiful plumage and absolutely no ring on its legs at all, and landed near the swans, where I had an extraordinarly hard time finding it!
IMG_6725.JPG
Then, a flock of barnacles arrived, and another white goose was among them. But something was off about it- it was clearly smaller than the snow goose which I had seen well, it had a smaller bill, and it had black around the base of the bill. I realised I was looking at a Ross's goose!!
IMG_6697.JPG
IMG_6700.JPG
Today I also found a Ruff out in the wetlands
IMG_6583.JPG
And a family portrait to end the day
IMG_6649.JPG
What a day! Totally worth it. For my next trip, I plan on putting an obsession I had for years to rest. I finally figured out where to see a very long-staying (escaped? introduced?) wood duck in the wild nearby. I am so excited!

I can't see a prospective Lesser Whitefront in your pictures. Unlike the Ross's Goose with feral Barnacles an LWFG with Russian Whitefronts would be given the benefit of the doubt and news would be broadcast nationally.
Very difficult to pick out. I'm not even sure that is the correct photo I was referring to, I took a lot that day

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back