• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow-breasted Bunting? (3 Viewers)

Here's a flock of passerines from Haleji lake, Sindh province, Pakistan.
Dated September 2018.

Rufous back, Yellow breasts and double white wing bars only points to this species. This is the only photo available.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-04-07 at 20.43.25.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-04-07 at 20.43.25.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 122
Here's a flock of passerines from Haleji lake, Sindh province, Pakistan.
Dated September 2018.

Rufous back, Yellow breasts and double white wing bars only points to this species. This is the only photo available.
Very big bill, yellowish vent and rump (visible in at least a few individuals) and white + yellowish tinged wing bars = White-winged Grosbeak (Mycerobas carnipes)

Ciao, Igor

Very big bill, yellowish vent and rump (visible in at least a few individuals) and white + yellowish tinged wing bars = White-winged Grosbeak (Mycerobas carnipes)

Ciao, Igor
Thanks Igor, few queries,
Would the habitat makes sense? This was down in the Southern wetlands/ plains of Pakistan, at least 500KM (displacement) from the nearest suitable habitat/ distribution? The species is not known to be long distance migrant from what I gather. No prior records exist here and that too in such a flock. Eruption? I aware the photo is really not the most helpful but does the extant of yellow on the wings match a White-Winged Grosbeak?

That is what I thought to after that post, both photos made me think of YBB. Would chaffinches have this much yellow? or do you think it may be the saturation levels of the photograph?
Yes, it looks like the sun was low when this photo was taken and I think light and maybe saturation is giving a yellow cast.

White-winged Grosbeak
Wing-pattern is quite wrong. And it's a resident mountain species, hugely out of range.
Chaffinches
Median-covert patch/wing-bar of the OP's birds seems too small, and the primary-covert bar is missing (I think this would show on some of the birds below left of centre). Also, apparently, well out of range.
So, I also...
suspect these are actually House Sparrows
(y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back