• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 8x30B TP Dialyt hinge tightening (1 Viewer)

mercedes_sl1970

Hi - it's been a long time since I've posted but still follow along. I also posted this in Cloudynights but haven't received any responses so was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to tighten the hinge on an older Zeiss 8x30B TP Dialyt?

I bought these a while ago with a bizarrely missing front cover plate for which I've eventually fashioned a replacement. It's a little rough but serves the purpose. At the same time, I cleaned away some internal haze on the objectives, and lightly lubricated what I could access.

Anyway, they now work ok, and fortunately the collimation seems fine, at least to my eyes. The hinge is serviceable but could use tightening. The focuser looks straightforward to remove, but the diopter adjustment less so. I'm not sure which one allows access for hinge tightening? So, would appreciate any advice.

I have "played" with various other binoculars over the years, mainly porros, but these are a like a little jewel and I'm reluctant to potentially damage them aesthetically and mechanically. (And, I don't really want to spend any money on them either!) By the way, does anyone know what vintage these are?

Cheers, Andrew

IMG_4049.jpegIMG_4048.jpegIMG_4047.jpeg

Hello,

Others may be more accurate but I would guess from around 1998, I have a similar one, purchased in around 2002, with a serial number starting 2603xxx, which is probably a very late model.

I can give no advice on tightening the hinge.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

Others may be more accurate but I would guess from around 1998, I have a similar one, purchased in around 2002, with a serial number starting 2603xxx, which is probably a very late model.

I can give no advice on tightening the hinge.

Stay safe,
Arthur
Thank you, Arthur - muchly appreciated!

Cheers

Andrew

these are a like a little jewel and I'm reluctant to potentially damage them aesthetically and mechanically. (And, I don't really want to spend any money on them either!)

If they are jewels, then treat them as such - send them to Zeiss Australia or someone they recommend to be dealt with properly. They are still useful (and handsome) binoculars that will serve for another 30 years or more if properly maintained, what's the cost of service compared to that? It isn't just the hinge tension - binoculars that may not have been serviced for over 20 years may have other issues (internal hazing/dust etc - this series were not fully sealed, and even in fully sealed binoculars, O-rings and so on can deteriorate).

P coatings were introduced in 1988, so yours has to be no older than that. garymh of this parish may be able to provide more detail if you send him a PM.

If they are jewels, then treat them as such - send them to Zeiss Australia or someone they recommend to be dealt with properly. They are still useful (and handsome) binoculars that will serve for another 30 years or more if properly maintained, what's the cost of service compared to that? It isn't just the hinge tension - binoculars that may not have been serviced for over 20 years may have other issues (internal hazing/dust etc - this series were not fully sealed, and even in fully sealed binoculars, O-rings and so on can deteriorate).

P coatings were introduced in 1988, so yours has to be no older than that. garymh of this parish may be able to provide more detail if you send him a PM.
Thanks for your reply. I'll give it some thought. Cheers, Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back