• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyepiece mounted while not using (1 Viewer)

ori76

I wonder what is best.

Keep the eypiece mounted in the scope while not using it or keeping both pieces separated.

By the way, I own a 20-60x eyepiece and a 85T diascope.

I usually only remove the eyepiece from my Kowa scope if changing from one to other of the two eyepieces I have, 32x and 50x. The only time the eyepiece is removed for longer than that is when I'm flying on holiday, the eyepieces are in my pockets and the scope is wrapped in bubble-wrap in my rucksack.

I wonder what is best.

Keep the eypiece mounted in the scope while not using it or keeping both pieces separated.

By the way, I own a 20-60x eyepiece and a 85T diascope.

Keep them together whenever possible - that way the system is fully water and dust proof. My 20-60 on the Zeiss is an absolute pig to take off, so it only comes off when I want to use an astro eyepiece.

Pete

Keep them together whenever possible - that way the system is fully water and dust proof. My 20-60 on the Zeiss is an absolute pig to take off, so it only comes off when I want to use an astro eyepiece.

Pete

Thanks, I will.

I have to sen d my 20-60 eyepiece to Zeiss for repair. In Germany it usually takes 3 months, I have to send it to the USA and I do not know how long will it take... In the meantime I will like to keep using my scope. I do own three astro eyepieces. Is it easy to use them in the Zeiss? What will I need?

For high power, I use a TeleVue Radian de 5mm. Theory says it gets 100.4X. In this case, a Zeiss adapter is needed. Remember if the astropieces are 11/4" or 2". This item is fixed by thread. There're more adapters in the market. Baader has one with bayonet sistem, what looks more reasonable. Some people have reported problems with the range of focusing. In my case the TV eyepiece rest over the glass of the scope body. So, the adapter don't settle the distance between eyepiece and body.
By the way, what has happened with your zoom? I'm afraid mine has an inside lens broken.

Hello Fernando,

It is strange to speak in english to you by the way, as we might live pretty close (I live in Madrid).

I am going to purchase the zeiss adaptor for astro eyepieces. Mine it is 1 1/4". It costs 37€ at Optica Roma and It will enable me to use my scope while the 20-60x eyepiece is being repaired in USA. If you know a different shop in Madrid with cheaper adaptors, let me know.

My eyepiece has some dirt inside. It is kind of a hair in the middle. It is focused at 20x and at 30x and above it goes out of focus. It is nothing a big deal, but for digiscoping it is a real bug.

Also any suggestions in wich astro eypieces are nice (For astrology as well as spotting scopes)

Last edited:
I live in Aranda de Duero, the strange English user world of internet. Optica Roma applies a 10% discount to members of SEO ( Spanish Society of Ornithology), apart of this the prize is the official offered by the wholeseller for Spain, Excopesa. I'll try one different adapter, one with bayonet system similar what Swaroski uses.
Eyepieces specially suitable for astrology must deserve the overused "AMAZING!".

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back