• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Doubler. Does it?, and how well? (1 Viewer)

Nottsbirder

I have a piar of Vortex Viper 10x42 bins.
I also have a problem carrying my scope far due to a bad hip problem. I have looked everywhere to ease my problems and have just been told about a Vortex Doubler which in effect turns your bins into a mini scope, sort of.
Just a few questions please: Has anyone got one, does anyone know anything about them at all. More importantly do they work and how steady and good is the image produced using a 10x binocular such as mine.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/accessories/view/vortex_2x_doubler

Cheers
NB.
Vortex Doubler Info: When the total weight of your gear is critical, keep your options open for long-distance viewing with the help of this lightweight, pocket-sized piece. With the Vortex Doubler you can increase the magnification of any Vortex 32mm (or larger) binocular and take in high-power views more similar to what you``d see through a spotting scope. The Vortex Doubler easily attaches over the binocular eyecup as shown here.

Last edited:
I purchased one from Eagle Optics to use on my ranger SRT's after I saw someone using them on their Bruntons. The price was reasonable, but it was a purchase I regret. It strains my eyes and I have found that what ever little bit more detail I might get isn't worth it. Like binoculars, it may be that some doublers are better than others.

I think there is an issue with any doubler, no matter it is bushnell, vortex or Swarovski. They shrink your exit pupil to 2.1mm for a 10x42 binoculars. It is also hard to hold it steady with hand with 20x power. The biggest problem I had was the eye relief is much shorter after the doubler. I almost had to push my eyes against the glasses. That caused headache for me, just like the other poster. My point is, it is ok to use it occasionally. But the image quality degradation is very noticeable.

Well all 20x magnification 42mm bins are going to have a 2mm exit pupil.

And a 20x needs to be on a monopod or tripod or seriously braced. Or you have to assume and interesting position (prone with elbows on the ground or on a rock or a tree).

I think they way to consider it is the trade off between the weight of a decent spotter and tripod compared to the pocket size doubler. If it's enough to ID a shorebird that you can't get with the bin then it's a win.

I think there is an issue with any doubler, no matter it is bushnell, vortex or Swarovski. <snip> The biggest problem I had was the eye relief is much shorter after the doubler. I almost had to push my eyes against the glasses. That caused headache for me.

I presume from your comments that a glasses wearer like myself, would not be able to use the doubler at all with any success. As us blind folk need much longer eye relief with glasses.

NB.

I presume from your comments that a glasses wearer like myself, would not be able to use the doubler at all with any success. As us blind folk need much longer eye relief with glasses.

Just for the record, the Swarovski doubler has loads of eye-relief, probably over 20mm. --AP

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back