• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Razor users - what do you think? (1 Viewer)

Will K

Too well-known member
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm curious to know what people think of the Vortex Razor HD spotting scope line.

I love the design and ergonomics of Vortex products (more so than Kowa, Bushnell, Nikon, etc., even Zeiss), and I recently bought a second-hand Razor HD 85mm angled for £850. My initial plan was to go with a new Viper 85mm, because many users have said that it is very similar to the Razor, aide from a size and weight difference; but, upon personal comparison, I found the Razor to be superior in several other respects, too (FOV, clarity, build quality, etc.)

I also compared the Razor to a Zeiss Conquest Gavia, and could only detect minor differences in image quality. (The Zeiss was still slightly better, however.)

For anyone who owns other high-end spotters, how does the Razor compare? Swaro ATX, Zeiss Harpia, etc.? ... aside from being quite a bit cheaper, of course!

I'd love to hear some personal opinions, and reports from other Razor users.

I'd still like to own a Harpia one day, but, in the meantime, the Razor will do very well!

Thanks,

Will

Just a bump to see if any other Razor owners are out there.

I've been getting to know it a bit better over the last few months, and although I've been enjoying using it immensely, the experience has informed my search for an upgrade. For the price I paid, however, the Razor is still absolutely exceptional!

Just a bump to see if any other Razor owners are out there.

I've been getting to know it a bit better over the last few months, and although I've been enjoying using it immensely, the experience has informed my search for an upgrade. For the price I paid, however, the Razor is still absolutely exceptional!
Was never successful in digiscoping with the Razor (after purchasing the recommended rigs for iPhones). Back to it again searching for the best way to digiscoping. Even with, say, a mirrorless camera attachment, instead of a smartphone adaptor.
Would love to hear some feedback from users who’ve been able to break through with digiscoping.

Was never successful in digiscoping with the Razor (after purchasing the recommended rigs for iPhones). Back to it again searching for the best way to digiscoping. Even with, say, a mirrorless camera attachment, instead of a smartphone adaptor.
Would love to hear some feedback from users who’ve been able to break through with digiscoping.
I digiscope with my Razor from time to time, using the Phoneskope Lollipop device. It always takes a little finesse to avoid the blackouts when first putting it on, but with the eyepiece fully extended I’ve not had any problems with getting nice images.

That said, I’ve recently added a Nikon P1000 to my optical arsenal, so I don’t digiscope very often now.

It would be very cool to find a way of digiscoping with the Razor AND the P1000. Think of the magnification! 125x60 = 7500x of (totally useless) empty magnification!

I’ve spent some time with various premium scopes recently (ATX 95, Harpia 95, Kowa 99), and although the optical performance is superior to the Razor, I don’t feel a strong need to upgrade just yet. Aside from the fact that I have no spare cash! The Razor is the nicest of the scopes I have used, personally speaking. Although Kowa designs are growing on me.

Digiscoping with the Razor is certainly possible, but it has its disadvantages. I've found that images taken with an iPhone through the Razor have a bit of CA, whereas CA is less apparent when viewing with the eye alone. Razor digipics also have a tendency to display a kind of milky quality, although some views can be slightly warmer than their natural hue. Its quite hard to predict what the outcome will be.

To illustrate: the first image was digiscoped with the Razor and an iPhone. The second was taken with the Nikon. (Not the same bird, but same time and place). The quality is obviously better with the camera. Note the false colour around the bird's beak in the first image.

A1.jpg
A2.JPG

The glass is certainly not as good as Zeiss, Swarovski or Kowa, but the price-performance ratio remains excellent.

The Razor is a great improvement over the Vortex Viper or Diamondback scopes, that's for sure. The build quality, AFOV, brightness, ergonomics, size and weight are all much better in the Razor.

Its also a very handsome scope, I think...

Vortex Razor HD Scope Specs - Copy.jpg

Hi everyone,

I'm curious to know what people think of the Vortex Razor HD spotting scope line.

I love the design and ergonomics of Vortex products (more so than Kowa, Bushnell, Nikon, etc., even Zeiss), and I recently bought a second-hand Razor HD 85mm angled for £850. My initial plan was to go with a new Viper 85mm, because many users have said that it is very similar to the Razor, aide from a size and weight difference; but, upon personal comparison, I found the Razor to be superior in several other respects, too (FOV, clarity, build quality, etc.)

I also compared the Razor to a Zeiss Conquest Gavia, and could only detect minor differences in image quality. (The Zeiss was still slightly better, however.)

For anyone who owns other high-end spotters, how does the Razor compare? Swaro ATX, Zeiss Harpia, etc.? ... aside from being quite a bit cheaper, of course!

I'd love to hear some personal opinions, and reports from other Razor users.

I'd still like to own a Harpia one day, but, in the meantime, the Razor will do very well!

Thanks,

Will
I've had one for several years now and love it. It's weighs way less than my Pentax 30-80 and much easier to transport. And plenty sharp. I digiscoped a photo of a cardinal with my old LG G6 smart phone at 30 yards and could easily see water droplets on the feathers. The image was crystal clear.

The glass is certainly not as good as Zeiss, Swarovski or Kowa, but the price-performance ratio remains excellent.

The Razor is a great improvement over the Vortex Viper or Diamondback scopes, that's for sure. The build quality, AFOV, brightness, ergonomics, size and weight are all much better in the Razor.

Its also a very handsome scope, I think...

View attachment 1496151
No doubt the Razors are the top of the line for Vortex and this is Nice glass. But as soon as I get to this price range I start leaning towards the Kowa. Optics could be said to be comparable but the position and the duel speed focuser on the Kowa just makes for a much smoother and precise experience.

My experience so far with Vortex has been not so good, mainly their Diamondback line, but very surprised and happy with the Viper, which I’ve got in a 10x42.
Looked like you’d thought about it in your opening post and I think it’s worth consideration for sure.

Last edited:
No doubt the Razors are the top of the line for Vortex and this is Nice glass. But as soon as I get to this price range I start leaning towards the Kowa. Optics could be said to be comparable but the position and the duel speed focuser on the Kowa just makes for a much smoother and precise experience.
I briefly tried a Kowa 99 a few months ago and would probably agree with you. I was impressed with the glass and, in terms of aesthetics and ergonomics, actually preferred using it to the Harpia and ATX. The Zeiss and Swarovski have their unique features, of course, but I would certainly consider a Kowa if I was looking to upgrade from the Razor. The Vortex still feels right for me just now, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back