• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

File Corrupted on Marantz PMD661 (1 Viewer)

buile

I've done probably less than an hour's worth of recording on a new Marantz PMD661 solid state recorder, and have run into a corrupted file.

Has anyone with solid-state recorders run into this issue? Is it common? Curious whether people generally re-format their SD cards before use? I didn't lose anything worth much, but I'd hate to feel like I'm taking chances with every recording.

Card in use was a SanDisk 4GB SDHC card. The PMD661 supports SDHC.

I haven't observed this personally (have used Oly LS10, Sound Devices SD702 and Zoom H2). Test your card and recorder at home a few times - if you ever get a repeat of the error then first switch the card and retest, then swap the recorder. This just shouldn't happen. The SD702 will still write to a card even as the batteries give out; obviously the recording is cut short but what there is of it is is OK - no corruption. Don't accept that sort of trouble.

After using 3 different new SanDisk 4GB cards, all of them generating corrupt files about 1/3 of the time (plus occassional locking, and seemingly arbitrary stoppage of recording), Marantz is going to check out the unit and cards. Hopefully, there'll be a resolution.

I experienced none of the issues using the 1GB card shipped with the recorder.

In the end, this turns out to be an issue with the SDHC cards. The cards I bought were Class 2. Class 2 cards experience lock-ups in the PMD661, whereas Marantz does not see this with Class 4 (and presumably Class 6) cards.

The part I'm unsure of is why? Class 2 cards must support speeds (I assume 'write' speeds) of 2MB/sec. "Captial" B suggest Bytes, not bits. 2 Megabytes per second.

The sample rate I use produces, for example, a 22MB file in 170 seconds (2:50), about .13 MB/sec -- well below the Class 2 standard.

If I do it as Megabits, doesn't that still work out as about .24 Megabytes/sec, which is still a higher rate.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Usually these recorders like high quality cards. Quality class 6 cards are all I would use. Sandisk is brand name, but at the lower end isn't very good. Try their extreme series cards with higher I/O ratings.

Thanks, Valzuniga. I bought a Class 6 card after Marantz called to explain the problem. I left it recording for over 8 hours without any issues: no arbitrary stoppage, no locking up of the unit, and all files copied fine from card to computer.

Couldn't get Sandisk to work either

Had an older Sandisk card, which I tried to use with this unit and ended up with same problem. However, when I bought my unit from here:

http://www.aandcaudio.co.uk/marantz-pmd661-digital-audio-recorder-pmd-661-free-4gb-card-p112185

I got a free 4gb card with it. It was an Integral high end card, and have to say I've had absolutely no problems with it at all (despite various forums saying they weren't sure about it) From my own experience anyway, it worked better than my Sandisk did at least! :t:

I had similar issues with my PMD 671. I contacted Marantz and was told that the recorder was checked out only on certain brands of Compact Flash cards, one of the brands being Lexar (I do not remember the others). I have consistently bought Lexar cards since and have not had any problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back