• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron 90mm with 1.4X converter. (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Hi

I've been pondering buying a Sigma 150mm or 180mm macro but I've been put off by two things: the price and the size. I like my Tamron 90mm, but it is a bit small. Anyone tried this or similar lenses with a 1.4x converter and if so what ones?

Cheers

Hi

I've been pondering buying a Sigma 150mm or 180mm macro but I've been put off by two things: the price and the size. I like my Tamron 90mm, but it is a bit small. Anyone tried this or similar lenses with a 1.4x converter and if so what ones?

Cheers

Steve, I haven't tried your lens either with or without a converter, but can see that it is about 400g. With a 1.4x converter you would be adding between 130-225g, depending on make.

Compare that with the Sigma 150 at around 900g, and there isn't such a huge difference in weight. Neither lens would be affected much by a converter, as they are both 'bright lenses' to start with, and typically you tend to stop down anyway with macro to increase DOF. All macros tend to have excellent optics and can take a (good quality) 1.4TC with little loss of IQ.

Another thing to bear in mind, is that both the 150 & 180 have large hoods (the 180 hood is about 3-4cm longer still than the 150) which make them seem more substantial than they really are, but in reality they both seem quite lightweight for their size. I have the 180 and it seems a light lens compared to my Canon 100-400 zoom.

With the hood reversed I would even go as far as to say the 150 is quite a compact lens, if a little wide for its size. There isn't much between the Tamron and the Sigma 150 in length (Tamron 90mm=97mm long compared with Sigma 150=137mm long). I really wouldn't worry too much about the little extra weight gain. Far more difference would be made by the choice of body you used with it, and whether you used a tripod with it (would recommend this with any long macro, including your Tamron with a 1.4x converter which would be 126mm, so not too far short of the Sigma 150)

Ultimately it's up to you, but if size and weight are important the Sigma 150 would be my choice. With it and your Tamron (and a 1.4TC) you would cover the following focal lengths: 90mm, 126mm, 150mm, 210mm.

Cheers,

Steve

One last point, is that I bought the 180, mainly for shooting dragonflies and butterflies, which it is perfect for. At about 1/2 metre you get 1:1 reproduction. For most butterflies I can easily get close enough, even with the tiny ones, though for some of the more wary dragonflies I struggle a bit. Perhaps I will eventually add a 1.4tc to take it to 250mm, but I'm in no hurry at the moment.

With the Sigma 150 you need to be a bit closer to get 1:1, and a friend of mine routinely uses his with a 1.4tc with few problems. They both also make excellent general purpose telephoto lenses, and the focussing is quite quick as they both have USM motors. I have used mine for close birds quite successfully, even in flight, and as it is so sharp, if I eventually get a 2xtc it would make a 360mm f7.1 lens, which isn't a bad bonus feature. Compare that with the Canon 100-400 which is actually around 385mm at the long end, and works best at f8, and there probably isn't much between them. A tripod would be a must though, without IS built in.

Last edited:
I am tempted by the Sigma 150/180 as I photograph dragonflies a lot. I may dither for a while, especially as the government has now kindly frozen my wages. I afraid I'll never be a tripod user. I lug it around with a scope when birding and I, usually, use it with my Tamron 200 - 500 but I just cannot bring myself to lug it around when photographing butterflies and dragonflies and I find it slows me down so much - getting it into position - I'm much more likely to miss the shot. At the moment, as well as the Tamron macro, I use a sigma 70 - 300mm and I usually rarely have problems holding that steady. I do generally take my monopod around with me but, to be honest, it rarely actually comes out of the boot. I do keep resolving to to get better at using that.

I am interested in you describing the Sigmas as having quite quick focusing as I've read a review describing them as slow. The Tamron's is very slow and a faster focus might sway me towards the Sigma option.

Last edited:
I do generally take my monopod around with me but, to be honest, it rarely actually comes out of the boot. I do keep resolving to to get better at using that.
Its worth trying the monopod Steve. I find it a good compromise between a tripod and hand holding for macro stuff (although I still think that a good tripod is best for quality images).

On reflection, I think I'll go for a Sigma 150 or 180. Which one will probably depend on which one I see for sale, second hand, first.

Probably a bit late now but I've got a Tamron 90mm macro and have used it a few times with my Kenko 1.4x Pro 300 DG. Worked very well.

hi steve, I've got the tamron 90mm & 180 sigma they are both very good with converters, I do love my sigma 180 its a fantastic lens ...mark

It's not too late. I like to dither for a while before I part with my cash! I'm going to give it a while and try and pick up and second hand 150mm or 180mm but I could still buy the converter, on the theory it could be used with either of them.

Of course I am bias, go for the Sigma 150mm, but I know that Steve C takes some good pics with his Sigma 180mm and its cheaper than the 150mm............

I have the adaptall MF Tamron SP 90mm, and also the dedicated Tamron 1:1 converter tube that they sold.

I then tried the Tamron SP flat field 2x TC on the above combo, and found it gave excellent results @ 2:1

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back