• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slovenia - more than just birds! (1 Viewer)

Ghostly Vision

Hi all,

I am visiting Slovenia for five days from 3rd October, and will report back on my success on this thread.

Although the country does not have any unique birds, because it is on the edge of the Alps it has some goodies that may be easier here than other places.

Thanks to local genius Jurij Hanzel, I have sites for two birds I really do need to see, having failed on a number of previous occasions - Rock partridge and Hazel grouse. They sound pretty reliable sites, and realtively easy to get to.

Other birds we are likely to see are Wallcreeper, Snow finch, Three-toed and other woodpeckers, and Nutcracker. All typical Alpine stuff.

However, the country is also excellent for other things, among which are the herps (lizards and amphibians). The Olm, or "human fish", or "baby dinosaur" lives in the Karst caves in the south west of the country, as well as over the border in Italy, but pretty much nowhere else in the world. We have organised a guide to take us into a cave system to see wild ones. This creature lives in complete darkness for most of its 100-year lifespan, unseeing and living by a sense of smell alone. It can go years without eating. What a crazy thing!

Even rarer is the Black olm, a subspecies of the common one (or possibly even a species). This was discovered in the last 15 years and is known from onyl a single underground cave in Slovenia - which is inaccessible from below. A locked gate in a field looks down on the river that passes underground, and with luck and time, one may be seen swimming past from above. We have managed to get access to this gate, too, so could see one of the rarest creatures in Europe!

Various other reptiles and amphibians occur, including Europe's second most poisonous snake, nose-horned viper. An absolute beauty, and very dangerous!

Although our October trip will not be much good for Butterflies, Dragonflies or Orchids, these groups are well represented in Slovenia, and given how inexpensive the country is, I may have another trip next year to try for these also.

My flight cost £26 return on Easyjet from Birmingham to Trieste - just over the border in Italy (no check in luggage, but also no taxes). Car hire around £100 for the five days, and Hotels loking at around £11-15 per night.

Slovenia is the size of Wales, so nowhere is more than two hours drive away. It is a beautiful place by the looks of it, and unspoilt so far by the CAP and other EU directives.

Bring it on!!!!!

Sorry all, I didn't report back.

We didn't do so well on the birds because of time of year and weather. Rock partridge we failed on, and we missed Hazel grouse due to disturbance in th eforest just before we arrived.
In the mountains the fog was extremely thick, so no views of Wallcreeper or Snowfinch. We did get a point-blank Alpine accentor, though.

The main reason for the trip was the Herpetological interest, and thanks to our guides Tomaz and Erika, we had a fantastic time.

Proteus anguinus (White olm)- five in the caves - a wonderful experience, along with th ecave spiders and Lesser horseshoe bats
Proteus anguinus parkerj (Black olm) - the rarest vertebrate in Europe!! - three watched during the late evening, at a distance of less than eight feet. One sat in the water below us, out in the open, for ten minutes or more.

Nose-horn viper - four seen at very close range, including a male which bit Tomaz and pierced his glove - but not his skin luckily!!! This is the most poisonous snake in Europe and an absolute beauty.
Western whip snake. This wonderful but aggressive snake took a bite out of Erika's finger. Luckily it is a constrictor and not venomous!

We also saw Dalmation newt, Dalmatian wall lizard, Algoroides and Green lizards as well as many other slippery and swimmy things!!

There were a number of nice flowers, butterflies and other insects as well, and the scenery and people were absolutely fantastic.

It is a truly wonderful country to visit, and not expensive to get to or stay in. It is only the size of Wales, so easy to get between sites, too.

In fact it was so good, and with so many opportunities to see more stuff, I am going back on April 10th to "lead" a group of eight people!!! That time of year will be perfect for the reptiles and the birds, and we should get owls as well as the other stuff.

Shame it won't be the best time for insects (neither was October) or Orchids, as the country is excellent for both.

If anyone is interested in future trips, let me know.

All the best

Sean

Hi Sean,

I've been to Slovenia once - got Three-toed Woodpecker but not Hazel Hen (or Pygmy Owl which I'd also love to see). It's a great countryEverything else being equal I might be interested in a short jaunt there somewhen. As a new retiree time isn't a problem (though money might be!). Unfortunately, though, I'm off to Spain in April ..... lo to hear how you get on though,

Hi all,

I am visiting Slovenia for five days from 3rd October, and will report back on my success on this thread. My flight cost £26 return on Easyjet from Birmingham to Trieste - just over the border in Italy (no check in luggage, but also no taxes). Car hire around £100 for the five days, and Hotels loking at around £11-15 per night. Slovenia is the size of Wales, so nowhere is more than two hours drive away. It is a beautiful place by the looks of it, and unspoilt so far by the CAP and other EU directives. Bring it on!!!!!

It's a terrific place, thousands of walking paths and routes, and a good stopover for migrants. In the southwest, the saltpans can be very good for birds. In the east, the artificial lake that lies on the southern border not only attracts wintering and migrant waterbirds, but also small passerines. I stay usually at Sredna vas, about 4km east of the unbelievably scenic Lake Bohinj, because the village has two good restaurants that you can walk to and stagger home!

If you haven't got anywhere to stay in any area, the nearest Tourist Office can usually find you somewhere very quickly, all prices being government-controlled. Most Slovenians speak several languages, and most of the young people are very confident and cheerful! You can buy a regional parking ticket for 10 euros, which enables you to park free in nearly every car park around the birding areas. It also gets you discounts at many attractions, even at Bled Castle (which from outside looks like a 1930s Hollywood set on a vertical cliff!

In most villages with schools, you can usually get Internet access free out of school hours.

The electronic detector system on motorways is very efficient, so make sure your Italian hire car agreement has the vignette paid for, otherwise a 900 euros fine could be demanded!

Birding sometimes needs effort, but at other times is remarkably good. Goshawk is pretty common in many places. My best bird there was a Black-throated Diver in full breeding plumage on Lake Bohinj last year. If anyone wants more info, send me a PM.
MJB
PS Some roads twist and turn more than they do on the map, and so you can easily take more than 2 hours!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back