• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Would this work? (1 Viewer)

John P

Usually on a different wavelength
I expect someone has already thought of this and discarded the idea, but I'll not know if I don't ask.

Instead of having to choose between either an angled or a straight scope would it be possible to produce one with a 22.5 degree angled end and eyepiece?

The eyepiece would have to be capable of being fitted in two different positions which would give either a straight scope or an angled one.

Seems simple enough to me, go on then, tell me what's wrong with it. |=)|

er, maybe the mirrors inside wont line up propally? if you look at a cross section of a scope, angled ones have mirrors inside to line the eyepiece with the objective lens. straight scopes have a straight view from objective to eyepiece! i think!

I will stand corrected on this but I think it has already been done. I saw a small scope(objective lens) at the British Birdfair about 1997 which swivelled from angled to straight through. I cannot remember who made it and I have not seen one since but Optichron springs to mind, perhaps someone else has more info?

Pete

no wonder i aint seen that before! the way it looks alone would put me off. probaly scare the birds off too!

pete schofield said:
The Bushnell is not the one I have seen. The one I saw was cream coloured and looked like a ball and socket at the eyepiece end.

Pete

I'm looking at an old brochure from the late 80's for Japanese scopes that were sold in the US under the Mirador brand name (could these have been labeled Bressler in Europe?). There is an SRA series of "Multi Angle Spotting Scopes" which fits your description. The ball and socket at the rear rotates so that that the eyepiece is either straight-through, at an angle to either side, or straight up at a 90 degree angle. Definitely not as homely as the Bushnell.

Last edited:
I think Mirador eventually became 'Bresser' in Europe but they were called Mirador at least until the mid-eighties. One of my first pairs of bins was a Mirador 10x40, which I think was quite popular for a while. It even came top in one of the BB binocular surveys. They also did a popular scope in the early - mid-eighties, although I think it was just a straight through design rather than angled. The original Opticron HR scope from c.1984 (my first scope, and pretty good too) was basically the same as this.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back