• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Composting Worms (1 Viewer)

Kiscokid

I bought a wormery (can-o-worms) a couple of weeks back and have had a few worm casualties - i.e. they've fallen through to the sump in the bottom and 'kicked the bucket/can'.

Does anyone else have one of these - and if so - would it be OK to fish out the dead worms and put them on the bird table. Any advice greatly appreciated - cheers !

I've never found b'birds or robins will take dead mealworms or compost worms, only live ones, though I can't see why fresh ones shouldn't be ok.
Have you tried putting a layer of washed horticulural grit in the sump layer of the kit? I find the worms can keep out of the water more easily.
Cheers
Mary

Mary - Thanks - I put a few half-alive ones out tonight - so will see what happens...

As for your suggestion - I havent tried that - in fact I have been wondering how the poor things can get back up into the composter.... bad design??

I've just presumed that a few would get lost to the 'depths below' - but I might take you up on that piece of advice. Presumably you've had one for a while - how do you find it?

Hi, yes, had one 3 years and it's been excellent up until last week! Found they'd all died! Phoned around but can't find a reason, except maybe the prolonged cold? Have got new batch of worms and restarted. Of course, they're all escaping, even with a light on for a few nights! Did you find that? They'll settle down.
They are able to 'slither' back up the central part in the sump area, and back into the bedding compartment. At times, especially in warm, wet weather, hundreds of them will go down into the sump. I usually get handfuls and put them back!
Did anything eat the ones you put out?
cheers
Mary

Hi Mary - I've learnt a little already......I put them outside and first night it poured with rain and practically all of them were in the sump ! I tend to check it daily at the moment - a few casualties - but like you I tend to pick them up and throw them back in the top. I also think I have been putting too much in as there has been a lot of mould on the top....which apparantly is OK !
I've not had any escape - I have put the waterproof top on - so not sure how they would escape anyhow !?
The 10 or so that I put out on the ground feeder did indeed disappear - so it was either the robin or the blackbird....

not found any escaping - but I've been keeping it inside the kitchen as the weather has been so cold

Kiscokid said:
Hi Mary - I've learnt a little already......I put them outside and first night it poured with rain and practically all of them were in the sump ! I tend to check it daily at the moment - a few casualties - but like you I tend to pick them up and throw them back in the top. I also think I have been putting too much in as there has been a lot of mould on the top....which apparantly is OK !
I've not had any escape - I have put the waterproof top on - so not sure how they would escape anyhow !?
The 10 or so that I put out on the ground feeder did indeed disappear - so it was either the robin or the blackbird....

not found any escaping - but I've been keeping it inside the kitchen as the weather has been so cold

They can squeeze out between the layers, and make a bid for freedom! :eek!:
The resident female blackbird we had until last summer (she died) used to come running when I emptied the finished layer. I left the top off for her. This pic isn't too good, but you'll get the idea! I bet your robins soon catch on!
cheers
Mary

Attachments

• Tilly in wormery.jpg
    Tilly in wormery.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 129
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back