• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are there any birding trips planned for Central Mexico? (1 Viewer)

gavlanes

Gavilanes
hi birders

I was wondering if there are any birding trips planned for Central Mexico over the Christmas Holidays?

Brian

Where are you? I come to Mexico often. I won't be there for Christmas though. My next trip will be from Mexico city to Guadalajara and Laguna de Chapala. Possibly in March. There are Red Warblers and Yellow-eyed Juncos in the mountains near Angangueo.

Brian, I've moved this to the Mexico sub-forum and have subscribed you to this thread so you don't lose track of it ;)

Hi Tom?

I live in the mountains about halfway between Mexico City and Acapulco. During the past year I have gotten a lot more serious about birdwatching. I am a geologist living and working at a small silver mine. You might want to consider a trip to the Rosario Monarch Sanctuary as late February is when the Monarch's peak. This past year I have made trips to Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Jamaica and Nicaragua where I have photographed a number of birds. I am thinking about getting more involved with searching out Mexican birds, so hence the post.

Brian Hall

Brian,
Mexico does have a very interesting bird life with many endemic species. Unfortunately, I have no current plans for going back.

Niels

Sounds great Brian. I love photographing birds. I have been to the Rosario sanctuary. Great place. Perhaps we can meet next time I am in Mexico. My mother-in-law has a condo in Mexico City and I come there often. My wife is there now visiting her mother. I am thinking of going to Cuba in February and from there to Mexico city, then by bus to Guadalajara area and Largo Chapala. Perhaps we can meet up. Have you been to Canada. Lots of great birds here. Send me a private message with your email address if you are interested? Tom

Hi Tom

I am Canadian, Cuba is a wonderful country to visit, actually in February we may well be there. You might want to consider some of the trips that G-Adventures has to offer in Cuba, quite cheap and they have many trips, my wife is Mexican, and has a place in Mexico City. my email is [email protected] No plans for the Guadajarra área in February unfortunately

Brian

Quite a coincidence. Two Canadian birders with a Mexican wife near Mexico City meet on birdforum! I work part-time in Canada and my family is here so I live in Canada but visit Mexico often. My wife wants me to move there. I will send you an email. Tom

Hi Tom

I saw this message and perhaps you might want to think of hooking up with this guy?

Here is his message

"Hi There .
Have got a solo birding trip planned for February in Western Mexico . PV up to San Blas and then the Durango highway and down thru Colima and Jalisco [ Volcanoes ] and then via Autlan back to the coast and .
The Foreign Office advice is , to say the least , fairly negative about the Durango Highway bit - apart from the new toll road , and not much more encouraging about parts of Jalisco and Colima [ the American version is way more alarming ! ]
Does anyone have a view on this - either amend my route or just go for it !?
Thanks , any help appreciated . Happy Christmas !
Chris H"

and here is my reply,

"Hi Chris

There is a Canadian birder who is thinking about a trip in roughly that área in mid February, we have been kicking around the idea of going together. Where is your flight landing? I know Mexico very well, and have a 4x4 truck. I know most of the áreas to stay away from as well, although those change on a daily basis. I might be interested in San Blas, then the Ilsa Mariettas near Puerto Vallarta, Colima would be fun because of the recent volcanic activity. As well in Durango are some large lakes that the Winter waterfowl collect in, and there are a couple of local birders that I know of. My Canadian friend wanted to go to Lake Chapala near Guadalajarra, but I think he might be flexible. I also know the best snokelling spots as well.

Brian Hall"

how long were you planning on for your birding trip? As well it is the season for the Monarch butterflies at Rosario, which if you have never seen that it is largest migration of any animal species and definately worthwhile. I have been there twice.

all the best Brian

HI Brian,
I have landed a contract job doing some computer work here in Canada from 19 Jan to 13 Feb. Still have not finalized plans yet but I am thinking of heading to Cuba first around 20 Feb for a month.
I have been to Rosario once but would love to go again. I went the second week in February and it was a bit early to see them all flying around. There is a short period when they are all flying about before they depart. I think about mid Feb or so. If I come to Mexico after my Cuba trip, it wont be until after mid March, but thanks for thinking of me. Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back