• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it true.... (1 Viewer)

tarves57

I was scanning the internet for digiscoping techniques and came across a site (unfortunately I don't remember which one), which suggested that it's best to keep both eyes open when looking through the scope.

Is that really possible? I tried it with a pair of binoculars but could not concentrate on the "lens" eye at all.

Apparently this is so that your non-lens eye does not tire. (Probably saves on wrinkles too :cool:

Do any of you use this technique?

Susan

Yes, I use this method and it's generally recommended... I advised K.C. to do this with her new scope on another BF thread, she was getting eye-fatigue.
It's difficult to get used to, but it's worth it for when you're using the scope for an extended period.
Andy B

I'll second that !

I've just started digiscoping but had a scope previously for quite a while. Eye-relief is far greater if you keep both eyes open.

Likewise with the binocular use. Practice keeping both eyes open until you get the hang of it and pretty quickly, apart from the eye relief, you will appreciate how much clearer you can spot birds and see more details .

I was told by a doctor who also birds that keeping both eyes open when looking through a scope is a good idea.If you have ever noticed when you get home from a days birding & you`ve been keeping one eye shut when looking through your scope that it`s the eye that`s shut which hurts!!.Using the one eye shut method can lead to a contorted pupil.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back