• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cumbria & The Lakes - June 2005 (1 Viewer)

Rob Smallwood

I have the good fortune to be going to the Lakes this weekend, staying within sight of the Osprey nest at Bassenthwaite.

Does anyone have any recommended sites nearby, especially but not exclusively any for Nightjar & Woodcock.

Last edited:
Might be of some help and it might not, but if you go into the Book shop on the Main Street in Keswick Centre there is a book shop on the corner, they sell a book called Birdwatching Walks In Cumbria it might be of some use. It costs £7.95.

St.Bees head ,Rob ,there are sometimes Guillemots to be seen,also if you have the time,the Walney Island bird reserve,and of course our reserve here at Haverigg,the RSPB Hodbarrow reserve where the Terns are nesting and there are 8 pairs of Grebes nesting on the reserve.If you want to see Herons close up go to Muncaster Castle and at 4-30pm everyday,the Herons fly across from the Duddon valley to the castle.Also ,if you take a trip on the "Lal Ratty" from Ravenglass,you may see Red Squirrels,as the pine woods are their natural habitat,and the small rail track runs up through the woods to Boot.

Last edited:
spot on Christine. i imagine st'bees is busy this time of year. went in the autumn last year and nearly fell over the cliff! - saw peregrine within minutes though.

Lakes Visit

Hi Chris,
I,m visiting Ambleside early August, have you got any recommended birding sites within walking distance of the Ambleside area?

Just back.

Picked up Osprey, Goshawk, Peregrine, Storm Petrel and Hawfinch (the latter down to 5 feet) so pleased as this was a familt not birding trip!

Very envious of the Hawfinch.

You got some very good birds there.

How about a trip report of where and what you saw?

Too tired to go into much detail but here goes.

Saturday started with excellent views of both the Ospreys.

A later visit to the Winlatter Centre to see the Ospreys on CCTV was livened up by the most obliging Siskins on the aptly named Siskin Cafe verandah!

I then dragged the family to Workington in the hope of seeing one of the now famous summer Storm Petrels, but unfortunately the only two visible were at the extreme range of my 'scope, as was the (presumed Arctic) Skua. (I see that today there are four Stormies around off the harbour - that's birding for you.

Sunday morning saw more Osprey action, this time both birds rising off the nest to chase off a Buzzard that came too close, and later warily watching a Peregrine glide by.

We then did the touristy bit before trying to get on a boat trip on Windemere - don't go to Ambleside or nearby on a Sunday - everywhere was so busy that we couldn't park. We ended up at Bowness where there was again nowhere to park so I stopped outside a small graveyard to check the map when I heard a familiar call - Hawfinch. We counted 6 but there may well have been many more. Some flew in to a Yew in the graveyard then down on to the grass to feed - whilst we stood 5 feet away on the pavement with constant traffic and pedestrian disturbance - astounding!

We gave up on the boats and drove back past (but not visiting) Leighton Moss, where we were able to watch a male Marsh Harrier at close quarters from the road.

If anyone is planning to visit the Ospreys and wants a good B & B I can recommend ours - very comfy and a great locally produced breakfast!

Last edited:
J Sheridan said:
Hi Chris,
I,m visiting Ambleside early August, have you got any recommended birding sites within walking distance of the Ambleside area?
Cannot recommend any specific areas,but there is an excellent book,"Where to watch birds in Cumbria,Lancashire and Cheshire",by Jonathan Guest and Malcolm Hutcheson,publisher Christopher Helm(A&C Black,London).This book covers all the sites in Cumbria,inc the sites around the lakes.It is well worth a read,and perhaps purchasing for visitors to the Lakes.
Cumbria is such a diverse area,there are the mountains and lakes and also the coastal areas,and as everything is so spread out,it can be difficult to pinpoint any special site.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back