• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon and eyeglasses (1 Viewer)

Chris in France

I recently returned to birdwatching after an absence of some years and have been using very old, but good, extra wide angle bins manufactured by a now defunct UK company. They are 10x50 with 7º field vision, wide angle lens. I wear eyeglasses (bi-focals) for astigmatism and have glaucoma which is controlled with medication. Obviously, I need to have more up-to-date bins and very much like a friend's Nikon SE 10x42. I preferred them over his wife's 8x Nikon, even though the field of vision is more restricted. This is possibly because I am more used to 10x than 8x but I haven't finally made up my mind which to go for.

My current eyeglasses are rather old and they have been scratched by my ancient bins. I have a prescription for new glasses, which are needed anyway, and am thinking of ordering two pairs, one pair for daily use and one pair for birdwatching (2 for the price of 1, plus 1 Euro). I have thought about putting bi-focals in my regular pair and variable lenses in my birdwatching pair so that my vision is not hampered by the bi-focals. However, I am advised that it is not easy for people who are used to bi-focals to adjust to variable lenses. For this reason I may stay with bi-focals, despite the difficulties involved and any advice on this, especially from anyone who has made the switch from bi-focals to variables, would be appreciated.

Also, I would like to know how I can best protect my new birdwatching eyeglasses against possible scratching. I have read through the few threads on this topic and one suggested solution that I've come across is to put hard AR coating on the new lenses. How easy is it to scratch eyeglass lenses with modern binocular eyepieces and what other protective measures do you recommend I take?

Thanks in advance for all advice and suggestions received.

Hi Chris,

I wear specs and never had these contact troubles with any bins that I have tried. I have the old 10x50 Jeno's, 8x42BN and 10x42EL and with the cups fully in there are no contact problems. Over the years my eyes have altered and worn differant specs with no probs. You may need to pull the cups out slightly to prevent this contact as long as it does not cause black outs.

I hope you can find the right pair of bins and enjoy them.

Regards,

Chris.

Hi Chris,
I've never had bi-focals but went straight over to vari-focals about a year ago.I have had no problem using modern bins and certainly no scratching. One suggestion I would make is to consider bins with twist-up eye cups as opposed to the more old fashioned fold down type.I have used both and found the twist-ups much easier because you can set them in exactly the right position to suit you.

Regards

Glenn.

Chris in France said:
I recently returned to birdwatching after an absence of some years and have been using very old, but good, extra wide angle bins manufactured by a now defunct UK company. They are 10x50 with 7º field vision, wide angle lens. I wear eyeglasses (bi-focals) for astigmatism and have glaucoma which is controlled with medication. Obviously, I need to have more up-to-date bins and very much like a friend's Nikon SE 10x42. I preferred them over his wife's 8x Nikon, even though the field of vision is more restricted. This is possibly because I am more used to 10x than 8x but I haven't finally made up my mind which to go for.

My current eyeglasses are rather old and they have been scratched by my ancient bins. I have a prescription for new glasses, which are needed anyway, and am thinking of ordering two pairs, one pair for daily use and one pair for birdwatching (2 for the price of 1, plus 1 Euro). I have thought about putting bi-focals in my regular pair and variable lenses in my birdwatching pair so that my vision is not hampered by the bi-focals. However, I am advised that it is not easy for people who are used to bi-focals to adjust to variable lenses. For this reason I may stay with bi-focals, despite the difficulties involved and any advice on this, especially from anyone who has made the switch from bi-focals to variables, would be appreciated.

Also, I would like to know how I can best protect my new birdwatching eyeglasses against possible scratching. I have read through the few threads on this topic and one suggested solution that I've come across is to put hard AR coating on the new lenses. How easy is it to scratch eyeglass lenses with modern binocular eyepieces and what other protective measures do you recommend I take?

Thanks in advance for all advice and suggestions received.

Chris,

I've addressed each of the problems you mentioned. My solutions…

I tried variable lenses and hated them for birding. They had TOO many focal points and alignment was a real pain. I also experienced more CA with them. I changed back to simple bifocals, which work perfectly for birding, reading my guide, etc.

AR coatings are essential to me. However, I found there are different coatings and the ones I had on the variable lenses and the pair of bifocals that replaced them was bluish in color. I did NOT like the blue AR coating (far too many reflections) and it did not clean up under the faucet as easily as my previous lenses. I also discovered, after considerable frustration and expense, that the prescription I received from an ophthalmologist was, in fact, wrong. Also, their in-house optician didn’t do the job I expected.

I’m in the US so I returned to Lenscrafters, my tried and true source for eyeglasses for many years. I had a new eye exam, received a new prescription, and had new lenses made of high index polycarbonate (very thin and lightweight) along with the grayish AR coating I had in the past. They are PERFECT and my SE and Leica eyecups have not scratched them, though I am careful not to press too hard or move the eyecup around on the lens surface. The new coatings also clean up perfectly under the faucet. A bit of warm water along with a light soaping and they rinse perfectly clean with no droplets left on the surface. Now that’s a good coating!

Further advice based on painful experience.
Make absolutely certain they align the optical centers of the lenses with your pupils. Horizontal alignment is based on your IPD measured from the bridge of your nose to each pupil. Have them measure your IPD very carefully, because your right and left eye measurements may be different and simply dividing by two (which is common) is not the correct way to do it. Each lens can, and should be fitted individually for PD. The next measurement is the vertical optical center and this measurement is often ignored. If your pupils align in the vertical center of the frame then you will probably be OK because, without a specific value, they simply put the optical center in the vertical center of the lens or slightly below. Put the frames on and have them LOOK at where your pupil is on the vertical plane of the frame, while you’re looking straight ahead. My pupil is above the center, so they simply measure and have the optician cut the lens accordingly.

Some will tell you these measurements are flexible because our IPD changes as we look near and far and that most people “look down” so the vertical center can be low, and so on and so on. I spent a year tilting my head slightly back to get the best view of my television until I found out the optical centers in my eyeglasses were wrong. An optician graciously measured and marked the optical centers on each lens and we were both shocked to see how grossly misaligned my pupils were. We, as consumers, must insist on accuracy. I like my pupils aligned as I look straight ahead but others may want them a bit lower.

From a birding perspective, I find eyeglasses a real pain and I wish I didn’t need them. I do so that’s that. Excellent lenses, high quality AR coatings, and proper fit make eyeglasses more than tolerable. In bright weather, AR lenses are truly a delight and I would never own a clear lens without the coating. My sunglasses are an economical CR-39 plastic with a #3 tint and they work just fine. Interestingly, I discovered that AR coated clear lenses dramatically reduced my need for sunglasses, another plus for birding.

I hope this makes sense. If it doesn’t, I’ll be happy to clarify.

Happy Birding,

John

Chris as a wearer of glasses for 68years i have a little knowledge of their merite as they affect me.My glasses now that i use are bi-focals my bins are swaros 8.5x42 els.over many years more than i care to recall birding,my big wish is that I used contact lenses sooner than i have,they have made an enormous difference to me.When i do use my"specs" i have put a rubber band between the eyecup and the final stop of the bins,this helps my vision.my contact lens are distant +6 strength,they do do a bi-focal contact lens but for me the distant strength is just not strong enough.
I would suggest that you try contact lens,and any fears of wearing themI would say that if I can wear them anyone can.

POP

Thank you very much Chris, Glenn, John & POP for all your helpful and interesting responses to my inquiry. Chris, your experience reassures me that, with care, modern bins will not mark my eyeglasses and I will check out the eyecups. I didn't experience any blackout problems when I tried my friend's Nikons but I'll need to check it again when I get my new eyeglasses. Glenn, I've used bi-focals for quite a long time and the opticians have warned me that people who are used to bi-focals often do not get on with vari-focals and given John's experience I'm rather inclined to opt for bi-focals for my birdwatching pair, especially if the near-sight part will not interfere with my vision to any great extent.
John, your experience with vari-focals ties in with other advice I've received and thanks for that. I'm told that I can get colourless AR coating and I'll test that and the grey coating before coming to a decision. Your advice on alignment is also very helpful and I'll bear this in mind when I order my new glasses. Thanks, POP, for your suggestion that I try contact lenses. Even though you're only a little older than I am and are happy with the switch to contact lenses, I'm not sure if, after years and years of wearing glasses, I can make the switch so easily! I would hate to try something new and find that it doesn't suit me because it would mean new glasses, anyway! Nevertheless, as I have said, I'm grateful for all your advice and support.

Chris in France said:
Thank you very much Chris, Glenn, John & POP for all your helpful and interesting responses to my inquiry. Chris, your experience reassures me that, with care, modern bins will not mark my eyeglasses and I will check out the eyecups. I didn't experience any blackout problems when I tried my friend's Nikons but I'll need to check it again when I get my new eyeglasses. Glenn, I've used bi-focals for quite a long time and the opticians have warned me that people who are used to bi-focals often do not get on with vari-focals and given John's experience I'm rather inclined to opt for bi-focals for my birdwatching pair, especially if the near-sight part will not interfere with my vision to any great extent.
John, your experience with vari-focals ties in with other advice I've received and thanks for that. I'm told that I can get colourless AR coating and I'll test that and the grey coating before coming to a decision. Your advice on alignment is also very helpful and I'll bear this in mind when I order my new glasses. Thanks, POP, for your suggestion that I try contact lenses. Even though you're only a little older than I am and are happy with the switch to contact lenses, I'm not sure if, after years and years of wearing glasses, I can make the switch so easily! I would hate to try something new and find that it doesn't suit me because it would mean new glasses, anyway! Nevertheless, as I have said, I'm grateful for all your advice and support.

Chris,

I should make one clarification to my post.
When I spoke of bluish or gray AR coatings I was speaking about the tint you see when looking at an angle. Actually, you have to catch the light at the correct angle to see it all. Normal vision through the lenses is bright and clear.

John

I have no-line bifocals and have had no problem with them and binoculars. After using no-lines I do not think I could ever change to regular bifocals.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back