• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Porros? (1 Viewer)

dipped

I was wondering as I wasn't able to get to the Birdfair if there was any sign of any new porros.

Last year when I was there, a certain gentleman on their stand said these were in development (I think it was a bit off the record), so I thought a year on....

I've always thought it's only a matter of time now that Steve Ingraham is working for them.

dipped said:
I was wondering as I wasn't able to get to the Birdfair if there was any sign of any new porros.

Last year when I was there, a certain gentleman on their stand said these were in development (I think it was a bit off the record), so I thought a year on....

I've always thought it's only a matter of time now that Steve Ingraham is working for them.

Steve Ingraham dislikes porros, porros are out of fashion and Zeiss is a for profit company....Too late for new porros from Zeiss.

dipped said:

Steve Ingraham dislikes porros, porros are out of fashion and Zeiss is a for profit company....Too late for new porros from Zeiss.

Don't knwo about Zeiss, but Optricron have just launched some fancy new porros - they're been advertised in Birdwatching magazine and several other places. Might be worth a look if you're a porro fan.

Meant to look at them at Birdfair, but didn't trust myself in the optics tent so I steered clear.

Otto McDiesel said:

I assume you're joking, Otto. As longtime readers of Steve Ingraham's Better View Desired will recall, Steve has been pounding the drums for years in favor of porros, especially the Nikon SE and Swift Audubon glasses, and has gone out of his way to praise the Leupold Wind River porros and the Swarovski 10 x 40 Classic porro. Whether Steve has any chance to influence Zeiss R & D remains to be seen, but if he does, I would expect him to push for a Zeiss porro as an alternative to recent low end offerings such as the underwhelming Diafun and 32mm Conquest series bins. BTW - Carl Zeiss AG is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Carl Zeiss Stiftung, a not-for-profit charitable foundation established by Ernst Abbe in 1846 chiefly for the benefit of the Zeiss employees.

Last edited:
chartwell99 said:
I assume you're joking, Otto. As longtime readers of Steve Ingraham's Better View Desired will recall, Steve has been pounding the drums for years in favor of porros, especially the Nikon SE and Swift Audubon glasses, and has gone out of his way to praise the Leupold Wind River porros and the Swarovski 10 x 40 Classic porro. Whether Steve has any chance to influence Zeiss R & D remains to be seen, but if he does, I would expect him to push for a Zeiss porro as an alternative to recent low end offerings such as the underwhelming Diafun and 32mm Conquest series bins. BTW - Carl Zeiss AG is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Carl Zeiss Stiftung, a not-for-profit charitable foundation established by Ernst Abbe in 1846 chiefly for the benefit of the Zeiss employees.

I stand corrected.
For the benefit of their employees they should not loose too much money either.
But, as far as i can remeber, Steve Ingraham also wrote (in his "beter view desired" web page) everytime he had the chance, about the superior ergonomics and handling of the roofs. As far as replacing the really junky Diafuns and Conquests with a series of 7x-10x/30-40mm excellent porros at the $300-$600 mark, if that happens, i will be in the seventh heaven. Such an alternative might be feasible cost wise, if done at their factory in Hungary.
Yeah, Steve, bring us great 7x35, 8x30, 9x35, and 10x40 porros!!!! They don't have to be fancy, just rock solid, wide angle, cristal clear and shower proof.

dipped said:

Unfortunately highend porros are non-sellers worldwide.

Steve was such a fan of the image avaialbe from the SE that he was willing to carry them, however one can easily interpret that he preferred the handing of roofs, which is why there were two top binoculars, the SE and a roof.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back