• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Better case for trinovid 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Chris C

Hello all,

In another post I complained about the standard case for the trinovid bn's:

"...the case is aesthically pleasing and I actually hesitated when selling it because it was well crafted. It was just not well designed for my tastes. My previous bins were swift audubons, which had the more typical flap lid which allowed the bins to be rapidly removed and allow the strap to stay in its natural position (similar in design to that of the FLs and most other bins). The Leica flap with snaps does allow the strap to be used with the case, but I found it to be too much trouble to mess with threading the strap through and zipping/unzipping the case. This was espeically true when trying to whip out the bins while trying to stop the car, set down my coffee, and keep my breakfast on the dash before the falcon flew over the ridge :) "

After having looked around for a suitable replacement and having found several dozen unsuitable digital camera cases, etc., I purchased a Mountainsmith Focus II S (size small) case today. The case is a perfect fit, has a couple of zippered pockets, several attachement options on the back side, and comes with a strap. Nothing superfancy, but much more functional than the original (though not leather), and reasonably priced ($18 US). I cut a small piece of wood that I set in the bottom that now protects the objectives (as in the original case). I've attached a couple of (lousy) photos. I imagine the case would work well for other brands, but the fit to Leica is as good as custom.

Hope that's helpful.

Cheers,
Chris C.

Attachments

• IMG_2148.JPG
    IMG_2148.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_2149.JPG
    IMG_2149.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 425
Wood is a good idea.

Chris C said:
Hello all,

In another post I complained about the standard case for the trinovid bn's:

"...the case is aesthically pleasing and I actually hesitated when selling it because it was well crafted. It was just not well designed for my tastes. My previous bins were swift audubons, which had the more typical flap lid which allowed the bins to be rapidly removed and allow the strap to stay in its natural position (similar in design to that of the FLs and most other bins). The Leica flap with snaps does allow the strap to be used with the case, but I found it to be too much trouble to mess with threading the strap through and zipping/unzipping the case. This was espeically true when trying to whip out the bins while trying to stop the car, set down my coffee, and keep my breakfast on the dash before the falcon flew over the ridge :) "

After having looked around for a suitable replacement and having found several dozen unsuitable digital camera cases, etc., I purchased a Mountainsmith Focus II S (size small) case today. The case is a perfect fit, has a couple of zippered pockets, several attachement options on the back side, and comes with a strap. Nothing superfancy, but much more functional than the original (though not leather), and reasonably priced ($18 US). I cut a small piece of wood that I set in the bottom that now protects the objectives (as in the original case). I've attached a couple of (lousy) photos. I imagine the case would work well for other brands, but the fit to Leica is as good as custom.

Hope that's helpful.

Cheers,
Chris C.
The wood at the bottom of the case is a good idea to protect the objectives. Hmmm. Never thought of that!

Dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back