• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual Behaviour (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Does anyone find it odd when you have birds starting to build their nest in the birdbbox in your garden you see alot of activitey in the morning you see them go in & out but in the afternoon you hardly see them at all. To me I think it's abit odd but on the other hand safer nomost predatars could still be asleep etc. That's my thaught anyway.

I noticed this in my blue tit bird cam box; you could almost set your watch by their schedule of activity - which includes a period of extended absence in the afternoon.

My guess would be that given the tight energy budget of a small bird, they can only devote a limited amount of time and effort to nest building and must still devote a good portion of their time to feeding; at this time of year, insects and their larvae will be most active (and therefore easiest to find) in the warmer hours of the afternoon, so they're doing whatever activity makes most sense in terms of energy cost/benefit at each particular time of the day.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back