• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Murcia - Spain (1 Viewer)

tystie

"Time is never wasted when your wasted all the tim
Hoping to get over there in the next few months any info on places to go for birding.

Cheers
Lenny

do you know im going to murcia in the autumn and i was just looking into this and there is a page on fatbirder. Can't remember the addy but have a scoot on there, you should be able to find it.

tystie said:
Hoping to get over there in the next few months any info on places to go for birding.

Cheers
Lenny

Hi Lenny,

There are a couple of books that cover the area. Malcom Palmer's "A Birdwatching Guide to Southern Spain" and Michael Rebane's "Where to watch birds in North & East Spain". I guess you'll be near the coast, in which case the salinas at San Pedro are worth a look, otherwise there are several areas inland that are worth exploring - Sierra de Espuna near Murcia has spectacular scenery and some good birds. If you have transport the roads are pretty good, further up the coast at Santa Pola and El Hondo there are a couple of excellent sites.

Jules Sykes (a Birdforum member) has an excellent website that will give you some idea of what can be found a bit further north.

http://www.olivaramatours.com

If you need any more info I'll try and help.

Regards

Ken

Cheers Ken

My Brother has just recently purchased a villa at one of the golf complexes there so i've been told its about 20 minutes to the coast.

Hi Lenny,

Don't neglect the golf courses, they usually have well irrigated patches of trees and bushes as "obstacles", often worth more than a cursory glance.

Good luck

Ken

PS Forgot to mention that the hills around La Manga golf course have Black Wheatear and Blue Rock Thrush that I found fairly easily around the disused mine workings (and Crag Martin overwinter).

Cheers Ken

Looking forward to it,and i will keep an eye on the golf courses even if i dont play the game.

Lenny

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back