• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How are your Garden Birds doing? (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
I think mine are fine The Blue Tits and Sparrows have taken a like to the feeder stuck to the window when I watch them you can hear pitter pats from their feet when they are on the perch. and the big feeder at the back has been going very well I had filled it up yesterday. I think the birds missed me when I was away my grandpa took my place by filling up the feeders and since Ive got back theyve been everywhere. Does any of your family like your interest in birds? My family usually come up to me and say whats that bird it happened all the time when we were in Florida they would say whats that bird that appears to be a MockingBird what about that big white bird? thats a Great White Heron and what about that purple one thats a Rosette Spoonbill they were interested when I told them why they are called spoonbills cus of their spoon shaped bill. I was very lucky to see a Ospray in Florida you can get them there too

The Sparrows have gone bananas. I visited my folks place when they were on holiday and found the feeder in the front empty. I filled it up and when I came back round after watering the plants in the back the little devils were intent on stripping it again.

The Sparrows, Blue Tits, Great Tits, Blackbirds, Robin & Greenfinch have all bred. The Sparrow is now the most numerous visitor after the Starlings who also bred. The one worry is Percy the Wood Pigeon who was seen with a bad leg.

Around the estate we've Green Woodpecker, both Thrushes and Pied Wagtail (is it me or there seem to be alot this year). The Thrushes seem more numerous this year.

The family don't share my passion but they enjoy birds being pointed out to them .e.g Green Woodpecker, Goldfinch. They enjoy watching the birds on the feeder.

I have blue,great and coal tits on the feeder and recently a few nuthatches have been putting in an appearance. The seed is going a lot slower than just 2 weeks ago though, maybe its the stupidly hot weather. Blackbirds and robins have disappeared and the swifts are gone. Mistle thrushes can always be heard rattling but are so hard to find. Quiet at the moment but the butterflies and hoverflies make up for that!

The goldfinches, greenfinches and chaffinches are still regular visitors, including the juvenile robin and a couple of adult robins. the juv bluetits are always around, but the blackbirds have all but disappeared, except for the juveniles who visit a couple of times a day. Collared doves and wood pigeons continue to visit, the starlings have all gone for the time being (bit of a relief, especially on my purse) and the swifts departed about 5 days ago :-(

The day after the swifts depart is always a downer for me, as it seems so quiet not being woken up in the mornings by their comings and goings around the bedroom window, then screaming around the garden of an evening. Ah well, only another 9 months until they return...

The feeders are not so fast going at the moment, and the swfts here I haven't seen since the weekend, but the swallows are starting to gather on the wire across the garden, and the housemartins sometimes join them but the swallows soon chase them off again, the housemartins are now feeding their second brood, and with all the butterflies around I'm sure they will not leave for a while. there have been a few large blue and green dragonflies about, and if two are around together there is some sort of fight between them, we used to have a fat bodied dragonfly here, with blue spots down the side of its body, but not being well up on them I can only describe them, but both would make a goodly meal for hungry birds. Nina.

It is expensive keeping up with the young Sparrows here as well as others, I counted 29 plus Sparrows in a tiny patch under the bush where I sprinkle sunflower seeds every morning. We should feed them in summer to help any Sparrow recovery.

Today my garden was filled with Sparrows they were digging holes and flyn to the feeder at the window its was a joy to watch them

All mine are emptying the feeders at a fast rate. At least I help to keep Nicholas Watts at Vine House Farm and all his men in employment growing the feed to sell on to me! (I also like the duck eggs he sells as well)

sparrows emptying feeders faster than my pocket can fill them.
but aint they worth it. starlings have had a good year + blackbirds
blue-great-coal tits not faired very well this year. and our visiting
bullfinch still not brought any youn to feed!! all in all a good
season.
bert.

The tits seem to have had an average season here...the bullfinches have brought 3 juvs?( female looking ones) and some nuthatches and treecreepers have taken up residence in the neighbourhood. A sign of improving garden habitat?

My feeder is almost emptyed wen i filled it up yesterday n the birds have been enjoying themselves in the birdbath

I've had to start buying the feed buy the sackful.
The best thing is I had a wren in the pond today having a drink.
Never seen a wren around here before

I'm filling my feeders on a daily basis now! The sparrows are the main culprits (we've got 2 dozen of them this year) and they just devastate the feeders as soon as they are filled!

We have had great pleasure in watching a robin "growing up" in the garden. Interestingly enough, he has a liking for peanuts AND seeds, visiting both types of feeders!

Blue and Great tits (and offspring) are regular visitors as well as Collared doves, Wood pigeons and our resident Blackbirds which only managed to raise two chicks from four attempts this year.

Although we haven't been as lucky as Seb_Seb (who only lives about a mile and a half from us) in getting Nuthatches and Treecreepers to the garden, we were graced for a couple of days by a Willow Warbler bathing in our pond!

And a question for you, Seb: Do you get many Tawny Owls at your end of town? I'd be interested to know, as we've only recently had one hanging about here! I've only seen two in the last five years in this area!

Not too well in the last couple of years - after a long time with none, there's now at least FIVE moggies (from 3 different neighbours) hanging around the garden nearly all the time.

Michael

I have always encouraged my little girl to feed the birds with breadcrumbs around the birdbath and we get sparrows, starlings also blackbirds visiting us. We have a thrush as well sometimes which seemingly pops in after its been to the neighbours garden. but Our birdseed tube is hidden behind a tree so i dont really know what eats them.

Looks like today Im going to fill my feeder again can't belive it gets emptyed very quickly lol theres one at it right now as I type its great watching them as it always is ;)

Monkeyman: i wouldnt know if we had many because i dont look for them in particular..but i can regularly hear them during winter and early spring:)

Has anyone else been dealing with "West Nile" Virus? specifically affects crows - transmitted from bird to bird by mosquitos, and occasionally to humans? Or is it just in North America?

I have been pretty busy thesde days Been filling the bath n feeder yesterday my mum bought me a huge bag of peanuts so that will keep me busy

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back