• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (66 Viewers)

Bird of the day was the fabulous Long-eared Owl at Cley. I did not catch up with any of the Pallas's Warblers sadly, having worked Garden Drove from first light, but had hundreds of birds including thrushes, robins, bramblings etc.

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Attachments

• IMG_6313 Crop 2.jpg
    IMG_6313 Crop 2.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 192
Winterton South Dunes was quiet, although checking the news services it seems a YBW was present this afternoon. We could easily have missed it, but I think stuff was arriving all day. Case in point was the Hemsby Pallas's; 5 hours of patch work until the little sprite was found.

Jimbob

The YBW at Winterton was along The Holway, by the car entrance Hermanus Restaurant late afternoon.

We had a good day at Winterton on Saturday. Got there too late to see the fall of thrushes which had largely moved on by 0900. However, in the North Dunes we did see the Pallas's Warbler, Great Grey Shrike, Richards Pipit (and one other large pipit flying around), 2 Lapland Buntings, Snow Bunting, probable blythi Lesser Whitethroat.

In the South Dunes we saw the juvenile Cuckoo, Willow Warbler.

Good numbers of Robins and Goldcrests. Few Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps.

Dawn & Pete

Jimbob

The YBW at Winterton was along The Holway, by the car entrance Hermanus Restaurant late afternoon.

We had a good day at Winterton on Saturday. Got there too late to see the fall of thrushes which had largely moved on by 0900. However, in the North Dunes we did see the Pallas's Warbler, Great Grey Shrike, Richards Pipit (and one other large pipit flying around), 2 Lapland Buntings, Snow Bunting, probable blythi Lesser Whitethroat.

In the South Dunes we saw the juvenile Cuckoo, Willow Warbler.

Good numbers of Robins and Goldcrests. Few Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps.

Dawn & Pete

Thanks Dawn. Funny you should say that; upon leaving the car park I did hear a high pitched contact call which could have been YBW but I was unable to locate it. Sounds like you also had a good day.

Jim.

An excellent day in and around Wells woods with migrants everywhere! Highlights were Pallas's Warbler, Red-breasted Flycatcher, Hawfinch (all along the track, left of the wooden bridge at the back of Pinewoods caravan park) and a flock of c150 Snow Buntings across the marsh towards Holkham.

Two Red Kites, Peregrine and a male Goshawk were the pick of the raptors along with two Barn owls and a Short-eared Owl over the marsh mid afternoon.

Totemic Winterton birds

Jimbob

We had a good day at Winterton on Saturday. However, in the North Dunes we did see the Pallas's Warbler, Great Grey Shrike, Richards Pipit (and one other large pipit flying around), 2 Lapland Buntings, Snow Bunting, probable blythi Lesser Whitethroat.

Dawn & Pete

Sunday
200m north of the totem pole.

The washed out / bland lesser whitethroat potentially of the eastern blythi form, still present.

Pallas's warbler to dusk
Some mealy redpolls roosting too

Phew what a day; found a sibe chiffer (it even called!) and several xbill early doors at Deepdale, then onto gun hill where I booted 2 mealy redpoll and a YBW out of the sueda, before a second appeared a bit further towards Holkham. Recieved news that Rob had found a Pallas's warbler at Holkham so went to have a look. Heading back to the car booted another phyllosc out of the sueda near the boardwalk at Overy dunes, which became my first self-found Pallas's warbler (apologies to Kieran for the sweary phone call!). I think afew others managed to catch up with it what will tomorrow bring? I rather fancy a two barred greenish... Good luck everybody!

Just about pulled myself together after another great day birding.
Headed out late morning to Waxham, where I had a YBW call once but after that refused to show itself. Horsey was windy, and the beach proved better than the scrub with 19 Snow Buntings south and another Woodcock flushed.
Happisburgh coast watch hoping for a Richard's Pipit, but a single Wheatear and loads of pinks all that was doing. Some Redwing had dropped in, I almost ran them over! Migration in action.
Lastly, I made the best decision I could ever have made. Leaving the immediate coast behind, I headed slightly inland to a patch of cover hoping that the smaller birds had sought some comfort away from the wind. The bushes were alive with Robins and Chiffys, all coming down to feed on a ploughed field. Then, a moment I will not forget. Dropping down to feed before being chased away by a Robin, was a Red-flanked Bluetail. Not quite believing my eyes, I waited patiently for better views. They soon came, what a super little bird. I phoned a few locals before putting news out, and when I left at around 5pm the bird was still showing and a few people had arrived to enjoy it. I will update my blog sometime this week, after a weekend like that a bit of time to reflect is needed!

Cheers,
Jim.

EDIT Pied Flycatcher here along with Mealy Redpoll.
For anyone interested in going tomorrow morning, TG.387.293. Bird just north of here in favouring hedge on right hand side of ploughed field as you approach from public footpath.

Last edited:
East Hills

I also had my first self found PALLAS'S WARBLER today along with Yellow-browed Warbler, Firecrest, Mealy Redpoll, Short-eared Owl, Woodcocks x 8 and hundreds of other migrants at East Hills - one of the best day's birding I have had and have not seen a soul! Seriously dangerous walk back though and only just made it back at 6.30pm!:eek!:;)

Full update and pictures on blog.

Attachments

• IMG_6451 crop.jpg
    IMG_6451 crop.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Sounds like a great day's birding whilst I was indoors doing essay work. Well done Jim on the Red-flanked Bluetail, should have been ours yesterday! Just rewards for a hard-working birder. Also congrats to Sophie at Holme for finding the male Bluethroat there, years since the last Holme record of what used to be an iconic Holme species. The last few days have been more excellent ones for the superb Observatory team.

The wind and rain made pinning down warblers very difficult indeed. Every other bird was a Robin. Smart fly over GG Shrike over Holme Obs was either one of yesterdays birds or a new arrival. Common Redpoll in the hand was most pleasant. The Bluethroat was remarkably difficult to see, unlike Shetland where according to one Holt based birder rarity finding is p**s easy;) Will be very interesting to see what turns up if the wind drops and the sun comes out?

Last edited:
Spent most of the day at Holme yesterday. The bluethroat was exceptionally elusive and I suspect this shot, though poor, is the only one taken. Also a couple of GG shrikes and a probable Pallas's at start of entrance track (called once, not seen).

James H

Attachments

• Bluethroat (m), Holme NOA.JPG
    Bluethroat (m), Holme NOA.JPG
    266.4 KB · Views: 324
Thanks for the kind words folks. I know these beauties are perhaps not the rarity they once were, but it is a dream find for me. No sign this morning sadly but it could have ranged around the site by now.
I have fond memories of seeing my first RFB in Suffolk at Thorpeness in 2006. At the time this one of the first rare birds on my British list and the twitch was crazy. I didn't 'need' the bird yesterday but regardless that was certainly the greatest buzz I have felt since I began birding more seriously.

Cheers,
Jim.

Mental day down Holme! 4 Great Grey Shrikes, 3-4 Yellow-browed Warblers, Black-throated Diver, 2 Mealy Redpolls, 3 Velvet Scoters, Short-eared Owl, Red spotted Bluethroat, Little Gull, Ring Ouzel, Little Stint, 2 Black Redstarts and Greenshank plus much more

Dropping down to feed before being chased away by a Robin, was a Red-flanked Bluetail. Not quite believing my eyes, I waited patiently for better views. They soon came, what a super little bird. I phoned a few locals before putting news out, and when I left at around 5pm the bird was still showing and a few people had arrived to enjoy it. I will update my blog sometime this week, after a weekend like that a bit of time to reflect is needed!

Great find Jim, a super reward for your hard work!
If only you could of found that the weekend b4 when I was out with yeh!
I'm a bit jealous I missed out on this weekend with all the great sightings, but I do still enjoy reading about it on this forum so keep it coming u lot!
Shaky

Hi Everyone,

There are some great birds around at the moment. Well done to the finders.

I did some sea watching yesterday at Cley and Salthouse. No real rarities but a good range of birds were seen including 1 SEO in off the sea, 2 Bonxies, 1 Arctic Skua, Common Scoters, 5 Velvet Scoter, Red Throated Divers, Mergansers, 1 Med Gull and 2 Little Gulls along the shoreline.

Cheers

Steve

..........Dropping down to feed before being chased away by a Robin, was a Red-flanked Bluetail. Not quite believing my eyes, I waited patiently for better views.......
Bit belated Jim, but massive congratulations on your RFB:t:B :) I can only dream at finding such a bird. I remember the Thorpeness bird, I also twitched that and it was also my first one too. Never tire of seeing these stunning little birds.:t:

Just about pulled myself together after another great day birding.
Headed out late morning to Waxham, where I had a YBW call once but after that refused to show itself. Horsey was windy, and the beach proved better than the scrub with 19 Snow Buntings south and another Woodcock flushed.
Happisburgh coast watch hoping for a Richard's Pipit, but a single Wheatear and loads of pinks all that was doing. Some Redwing had dropped in, I almost ran them over! Migration in action.
Lastly, I made the best decision I could ever have made. Leaving the immediate coast behind, I headed slightly inland to a patch of cover hoping that the smaller birds had sought some comfort away from the wind. The bushes were alive with Robins and Chiffys, all coming down to feed on a ploughed field. Then, a moment I will not forget. Dropping down to feed before being chased away by a Robin, was a Red-flanked Bluetail. Not quite believing my eyes, I waited patiently for better views. They soon came, what a super little bird. I phoned a few locals before putting news out, and when I left at around 5pm the bird was still showing and a few people had arrived to enjoy it. I will update my blog sometime this week, after a weekend like that a bit of time to reflect is needed!

Cheers,
Jim.

EDIT Pied Flycatcher here along with Mealy Redpoll.
For anyone interested in going tomorrow morning, TG.387.293. Bird just north of here in favouring hedge on right hand side of ploughed field as you approach from public footpath.

Congrats Jim on finding the RFB,saw it today,my 1st and wow what a little stunner,thanku for putting the news out,superb!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back