Thread: Norfolk birding
View Single Post
Old Sunday 26th August 2007, 15:41   #1798
Penny Clarke

Got up very early and got to Holme just before 7am. Parked car at toilet block (main beach) and walked all the way along golfcourse to beach huts at Old Hunstanton, saw nothing!! but on return saw a nice wheatear tucked in by dunes (shore side) at 7.30am and at 8.10am one yellow wagtail going west. Back at the toilet block while eating teacake and rasberry jam and cup of tea had a fantastic sighting of a female pied flycatcher and a spotted flycatcher together in sallow tree!!! I watched the spotted fly for a while in scope, lovely views, but didn't see it any more, but the pied flitted about for ages back and forth. 9.15am, also 2 chiffchaffs here. I rang Connor to tell him and he made his way up, also seeing another spotted fly at end of pines on route! Several birders stood here now and the pied did not show itself any more!!! Early bird catches the worm!!! But someone did see it again later early pm. I counted 46 redshanks on the shore along with loads of gulls and sandwich terns and one common sunning themselves in glorious sunshine. Took car up to Redwell hide where I saw 11 snipe, 1 little egret, 1 little grebe and 1 greenfinch. Parked by 5-bar gate and started to walk to forestry, 11 more snipe flew over, 1 little egret, 8 linnets, 1 curlew and when I got to forestry 1 chiffchaff and that was it, certainly no greenish in there that I could find! Walked back to car and Connor rang me to say the juv. red backed shrike was up the road again (on right, just before Firs house in hawthorn). Drove up the road and parked and had fantastic views of it eating a dragonfly!!! Walked up to the observatory after this, boiling hot now. 26 curlew going east. Lots of butterflies on buddleia, painted lady, red admiral, tortoiseshell, comma, peacock and lots of bees. Someone had reported a firecrest but no one else could find it. Went back to Firs and had a Ronaldos ice-cream and went back home as have to work this afternoon!!

Best Wishes Penny