• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PLEASE HELP - Proposed Incinerator in King's Lynn, Norfolk (1 Viewer)

Penny Clarke

Signed with pleasure Penny. When I first went to Lynne/ Norfolk Saddlebow had a beet processing factory and little else - and was a cracking, if very nippy, place for birds.

Chris

Hi Penny thank you for standing united on this and my thread. Sorry for the slow response here

Must be incinerator fever at the moment LOL

I see that you have more up to date on your situation in Norfolk, and Bedford is well behind somewhere else at the moment

Some more news on your patch, and I especially like the comment placed on the bottom of the news page!!!.... about the roadshow

Looks like the company building the incinerator is going to be busy convincing everyone it is safe

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment/who_s_behind_the_norfolk_incinerator_project_1_787099

....and the results for the Poll

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment/king_s_lynn_incinerator_poll_result_revealed_1_816219

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Hi Penny,
Signed. Hope to be moving up to Norfolk (Holt area) in the next couple of years.....dont want one of those to greet me!!
Terry

Must be incinerator fever at the moment.
Looks like the company building the incinerator is going to be busy convincing everyone it is safe
....and the results for the Poll

Regards Kathy x

The incinerator was supported by the poll in the 75% of Norfolk that was furthest from the proposed site, and was damned in the 25% of Norfolk nearest the site. That can be interpreted two ways, of course.

However, the whole incinerator option was undermined from the start by the local authorities getting themselves into a procedural muddle by going for the incinerator option, not realising that they then could not act neutrally as a consequence! Secondly, modern incinerator schemes in mainland Europe can't go ahead without a network of monitoring sites that not only monitor continuously the whole range of potential pollutants, but provide a means of shutting the incinerator down should certain levels be exceeded. Because monitoring levels are published regularly, people living near incinerators have some means of knowing what's going on. In our society, officialdom of any kind views secrecry as the default starting point!

One of the protestors correctly seized upon this point as an unacceptable shortcoming in the scheme. It is almost certain that the lack of continuous monitoring in the scheme brought down the set-up costs.

Whatever waste-disposal option is selected, none is without some kind of risk and all are going to cost money, yet at the same time local authorities are closing domestic waste disposal sites to save money! You could not invent this, could you?

By the way, the European incinerator monitoring schemes have quite often detected unacceptable levels of pollutants, but not from the normally-running incinerators, but from bonfires, straw/stubble accidental fires and building fires. Because the present monitoring schemes have been effective, the European Parliament is proposing to reduce the requirement (to save money, I guess) to monitor that way, just when the latest technology for constant monitoring has reached production standard to monitor a very wide range of potential pollutants. Muddled thinking amongst politicians isn't limited to Norfolk politicians!
MJB

Last edited:
Interesting to see that this has hit the pages of "Private Eye". Apparently a local "referendum" is being held in King's Lynn but, according to the "Eye", Norfolk CC seems to have made up its mind to go ahead whatever the outcome of the poll. Campaigners against the incinerator claim that there will be a 20.5 million pound penalty if planning permission is denied.

David

Interesting to see that this has hit the pages of "Private Eye". Apparently a local "referendum" is being held in King's Lynn but, according to the "Eye", Norfolk CC seems to have made up its mind to go ahead whatever the outcome of the poll. Campaigners against the incinerator claim that there will be a 20.5 million pound penalty if planning permission is denied.

David

Interesting news David. After seeing the article on BBC and ITV news today - what you have said appears to be the case

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-12664035

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:

David

I read the same article in "the eye". Does look like the decision was made behind closed doors some time ago? If the penalty cause is correct, NCC would have no choice given the huge budget cuts imposed from central goverment. I presume that Kings Lynn was chosen as it is away from main tourist areas and second home hotspots!!

Very sad for the natives of Kings Lynn. Having said that, what do you expect if you elect a Tory, Henry Bellingham as your MP, even if he publicly objects to the proposals!!

Are there any legal routes that have not yet been explored in respect of either slowing up or challenging the decision?

.....If the penalty cause is correct, NCC would have no choice given the huge budget cuts imposed from central goverment. I presume that Kings Lynn was chosen as it is away from main tourist areas and second home hotspots!!

Very sad for the natives of Kings Lynn......
Penalty will only be incurred AFTER if/when they sign in 2 weeks!

The ash fall out WILL reach thousands of 'second home hotspots' - have no fear of that! I am hoping if it goes ahead it will reach Norwich with the correct wind.

I object to being called a 'native' Mark:C

If you read all the links: you will see why they choose King's Lynn - its not only because Great Yarmouth and Norwich opposed it!

Penalty will only be incurred AFTER if/when they sign in 2 weeks!

The ash fall out WILL reach thousands of 'second home hotspots'

I object to being called a 'native' Mark:C

If you read all the links: you will see why they choose King's Lynn - its not only because Great Yarmouth and Norwich opposed it!

Penny. Having looked at other posts on this thread it does appear that NCC got itself into some some muddled thinking, although that probably does not help matters now!

If what you are saying is correct (no reason to question it) Norfolk voted yes for the scheme, but not on their Doorstep!! I would suggest this will not be first nor last time people vote in this way!

I do hope that your petition has some success, although unless you have a legal route in mind, it is time to wake up and smell the coffee I suspect!!

I do apologise about infering that you were a native of Kings Lynn, which of course you are not. You are a native of Norfolk I believe, which was what I intended to say!

Regards.

Mark

Sorry if I ain't read through all the gumph properly, but what is the proposed alternative to this waste disposal in Lynn?

Burn it somewhere else or bury it for future generations to deal with?

ta

dave...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back