• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

(Parany) Mass Bird Trapping in Spain (1 Viewer)

A CHAPLIN

Hi Everybody,

Please help us to stop this criminal act. It is illegal under the EU Bird Directive but goes on in Spain where the trappers are asking the government to make it legal. If they do other countries will follow suit and ask to continue their old ways of trapping small song birds and it will be a definite step in the wrong direction. To protect all our birds world wide we need strong laws against the hunting and trapping. The aim is to get 10,000 signatures I hope with BF members' help we can get more than that the total now stands at 115.

Please follow David Conlin's link below read all about it and more importantly, please please sign the petition.

Thank you.

Ann:egghead:

The trapping method known in the Spanish regions of Valencia and southern Catalonia as Parany has been illegal since 2002. Monitoring studies by local conservationists have shown however that this practice has continued almost unabated until the present day. This is because the practice is tolerated (some would say encouraged) by many local authorities and political parties in Valencia. In this region alone it is estimated that over 1 ½ million migrant song birds fall victim to Parany every year - in the course of a single month!
The Parany trapping technique involves the planting and cultivation of high stands of trees (mostly enclosed on private property), interlaced with poles to which sticks impregnated with glue or lime are attached. The migrant song birds are attracted to the tree groups as ideal night roosts. To ensure a high catch illegal electronic lures are also employed. The plumage of the birds settling on the sticks becomes glued together and the birds fall helpless to the ground. There they are collected by the trapper who kills them (if they are still alive) - usually by crushing the bird's skull between thumb and fingers.
The ruling party in the Valencian Parliament (PP) has now proposed a change to the Valencian Hunting Law to permit Parany trapping, to be voted on and approved as soon as possible, probably in September. The trapping season for the target migrant birds is in October.
A report is to be sent to the EU by Spanish conservationists in order to prevent the legalisation of the rampant Parany trapping in Spain. In the run-up to the official Spanish campaign you are urged to lend your support by sending an Email or letter to the Spanish authorities (copy to the European Commission) urging them to withdraw their support for Parany trapping. Please go today to:
http://www.proact-campaigns.net/proact_spain/no_to_paranys
and send your mail to the Spanish authorities.
At the same time we are petitioning the European Commission to act to stop the illegal trapping, prevent the passing of legislation in contravention of the Birds Protection Guidelines and impose sever financial sanctions on Spain if necessary. This and more on the Proact websie, where a draft letter to your MEP and the relevant link is also provided.

For all those from outside the European Union - we need your support as well.

David Conlin, Proact International and Committee Against Bird Slaughter (CABS)

Hi Ann, I tried the link to proact-campaigns etc. and it came up with "Error 404". So I tried the Proact website but there doesn't appear to be anything about the Parany trapping?

I am to say the least very disappointed about the poor reaction to this campaign.

Even if people can't take the time and trouble (3 mins) to cut and paste an email text (on the Proact link) it costs even less time to add a signature to a petition. The birds have no other advocate other than us. If we don't act to stop this out-dated and brutal practice, TENS OF THOUSANDS OF SONG BIRDS WILL DIE A LINGERING DEATH in this autumn and the years to come.

Please support this important and urgent cause.

Thank you,

David

The link is:

http://www.proact-campaigns.net/proact_spain/no_to_paranys.html

Sorry about that!

You can also sign the petition which we will be sending to the EC at:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stop-parany-trapping

Thanks, David! Done!

I hope many more members will give their consideration and support to this very important and distressing issue concerning OUR songbirds!

Yes, did that when you first posted, two of the email addresses came back as undeliverable, but most seem to have reached a destination.

Agree, more people need to take a little time to sign up.

Jon

199 views and only 6 members owning up to have signed in. This is important guys. Take some time, don't you love the sound of a Song Thrush in January? Cheers my winter no end.
Jon

199 views and only 6 members owning up to have signed in. This is important guys. Take some time, don't you love the sound of a Song Thrush in January? Cheers my winter no end.
Jon

Of course, it's possible that some people didn't feel it necessary to post whether or not they had signed. Obviously I have no idea if that's the case.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back