• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (113 Viewers)

I'm seeing a lot again now too. They became common in some areas a few years ago but had seemed to declined a bit, but they seem to be appearing more again now - I've seen loads between Crabbe Castle Farm (south of Wells) and Wighton this week in my lunch breaks.

These birds are a mutant variation of Common Pheasant that I believe is achieved through selective breeding rather than hybridisation - despite their superficial similarity to Japanese Green Pheasants they are NOT Japanese Green Pheasants. Unfortunately various bird reports, including our own, persist in reporting them as Japanese Green Pheasant, but, not for lack of trying, I am yet to find any evidence at all that there has ever been a Japanese Green Pheasant in the wild in Norfolk. Green Pheasants have pale blue rump and wing-coverts, which these birds don't. The variant does have a name - 'tenebrosus'. Properly they should be referred to as var. tenebrosus.

People often refer to them as melanistic, but I understand that that's not technically correct as the plumage is irridescent green/blue/purple and only appears black in certain lights or from a distance. Interestingly some of the females have quite pale fringes to their feathers, which would be odd if they really were melanistic.

I can't answer why they are released - another theory I heard (I think I read it on the website of someone selling them) is that they survive and breed well in the wild.

Some photos on my website - www.gobirding.eu/Photos/Pheasant.php

Another variant of Pheasant I've started to see recently, especially in the Brecks but also in NW Norfolk, is one with snow-white upperparts. I can't find any reference to these anywhere online - does anyone know if this mutation has a name? Some photos of these on the same link.

Edit - ah, sorry, I didn't see James' post (and thanks for the link James)

thank you so much for the information, sorry for the late reply I have been nailed to 12 hour shifts at work.

regards Kieran

Has anyone noticed a distinct lack of Bearded tits at the regular sites ? I assume they been adversely affected by the winter ?
Yes. I have been to Strumpshaw most weekends this year and haven't seen or heard one, even on perfect, still days like yesterday. It was the same on my couple of visits to Minsmere this year.

Ron

I still have not seen or heard a Beardie yet this year!! So yes, I have noticed a drop in numbers... Hope they recover ok

Fudge Duck was showing well in front if Fen hide this afternoon... It was displaying to the Pochard it was with...
Also there:
2 Green Sand flew over
1 Common Sand and grasshopper Warbler singing

The Duck was a Norfolk tick for me having missed them a few times at various places!

Titchwell April 18th

Today’s highlights

Garganey – 2 pairs on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 3 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh
Grasshopper warbler – 1 singing in reedbed, 1 singing on brackish marsh
Hooded crow – 1 briefly on grazing meadow late morning
Red crested pochard – drake on fresh marsh
Whimbrel – 1 on saltmarsh
Lesser white-fronted goose – 1 (of unknown origin) with greylags on fresh marsh this afternoon

Bearded tits are very quiet here at the moment - we only have one confirmed pair although it is currently feeding young fairly close to the main path. Talking to a few other site staff from along the coast and it sounds like the same story. The theory is they haven't made it through the period when all the seed heads and leaf litter were frozen solid in December/January.
Our bittern was also late (3 weeks later than 2010) in starting to boom and is also probably due to the cold winter.

Paul

I thought the north norfolk coast got off pretty lightly with weather compared to most of the country, so this could be a massive population crash.

Just checking my diary I've seen and heard the following

17/4 - Titchwell male bird
16/4 - Burnham Overy marshes 1 heard
6/4 - Cley 2 birds
14/3 - Titchwell 4 birds
8/3 - Cley 1
26/1 - Cley 3
25/1 - Rockland broad 1 heard
20/1 - Buckenham
4/1 - Ludham Bridge 1 heard

Ringstead Downs NWT late afternoon/evening and Brancaster Staithe

I was expecting Ring Ouzels at Ringstead Downs as this is more or less guaranteed when there are others around Norfolk, but this wasn't to be this evening. Massive high tide at Brancaster Staithe which completely covered the carpark up to the road!:eek!: Heard my first Cuckoo here!:t:

My mother had her first Humming Bird Hawkmoth in her garden this evening at Holme!

See blog for full update.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Nice day of yester at holme with yellow wagtail following the cows, common sands, a hooded crow flying over, female Ringtail HH and a peregrine and kestrel. Missed the garganey at TW, but had nice views of the spotshanks close to the hide. Chosley gave 13 corn bunting and a couple of yellowhammer, sadly missed the 2 ring ouzel there earlier in the morning, a quick stop at Great Ry raptor point gave a red kite .

Stuart,

Over the border I know but at Lakenheath beardie numbers are down by 50% on last year. Pretty difficult when trying to direct visitors as to the best place to see them.

Steve

Felt like Summer today! A brief wander around the UEA broad at lunchtime: lots of Blackcap, Willows and Chiffs in song, as well as several Sedge Warblers and at least three Whitethroats. Two males having a singing match near the bridge was particularly entertaining. Five Waxwing flew over calling towards the Sainsburys centre (can't seem to go anywhere without bumping into these at the moment!) and a female Sparrowhawk soared high over the broad before heading off East.

Just do it!

For anyone interested I did the London Marathon on Sunday in 3 hours 41 minutes, was easily the most uplifting and euphoric thing I've ever done. I had half an eye on birds and when walking with other competitors up Shooters Hill to the start had a single Parakeet flying over - pleasing because it is the first one I've seen for a good fifteen years. Around mile 22 i'm pretty sure i heard a Peregrine but looking up all I could see were two crows - to tell you the truth things were getting a bit weird and echoey around that point. Round about mile 24 I definitely had a Cormorant fly over - i think.

Regardless of how far anyone reading this thinks they can run I would really urge anyone to run the London, for me the experience has been amazing - the training, fund raising, race - the whole shebang. I passed the two Rhinos early on but saw very few conservation charities being supported. To run for something like NOA or NWT would surely make it all the more rewarding.

The crowd really makes the race and they urge you on the whole way, one word of advice though, don't overdose on the jelly babies they dish out willy-nilly - you might have a slight accident on the train ride home 8-P

There were certainly a pair of Beardies on cart track on the Freshes last week and over the winter there were good numbers (16) finding food on the reed stems even when the ponds were frozen. I'll keep my eyes scanned, I believe some of these birds raise three broods, had a juv in March last year.

Well done Josh.

Hi Josh. Very good time. You would had gone even faster if you had trained harder!!!! Hope that the MS society did well out of your efforts. I think you deserve a beer!!

Regards.

Mark.

Josh; respect is due, well done!

I spent an hour at Barton Broad this evening in the hope that I might get Black Tern, but no joy I'm afraid. Two Common Sandpipers were noteworthy and someone had written 'Ortolan Bunting' in the sightings book for April 15th...

James

Well done Josh. That really was a great achievement and an inspiration to many. You're the main man! :t::t:

A Sedge Warbler count between Martham Ferry and the South Broad along the River Thurne produced 58 singing/displaying males. Also four Reed Warblers and a Barn Owl. There were eight adult Cranes on Heigham Holmes. Two Whimbrel and a pair of Common Terns flew over. Spotted a lizard by the footpath near South Broad and only ten paces on from there, a really nice Adder was soaking up the mid-morning sun.
Common Sandpiper and Greenshank on a small muddy area over the back of South Broad were both year ticks and on the return journey I saw my first damselfly of the year when a rather lethargic Large Red flew up in front of me and landed, allowing me a close observation. Following up on the recent Bearded Tit posts - none were noted but hopefully its because they were all way out in the distant reedbed and havn't suffered a population crash.

Went to see the Wryneck at Winterton and what a stunner it was. It holds the accolade of being the most co-operative Wryneck I've ever twitched. I relocated it within about two minutes of arriving and it showed well for most of the forty-odd minutes that I was there. A Lesser Whitethroat in song was also another first for the year.

Went back to Heigham Holmes for another scan and it was well worth it for within half an hour I had logged ringtail Hen Harrier, Peregrine, Common Buzzard and a pair of Black Swans in flight. I know they're escapes but out there they had a wild feel about them!
Passed a nearby horse paddock on the way home and after a quick scan, was pleased to end the day with two cracking male Yellow Wagtails keeping company with one of the horses. Male YWs are fast becoming my fave regular spring migrant. Along with male Brimstones, that shade of yellow is the best shade of yellow of anything and always brightens up my day!

Nice one Josh.

Had a very pleasant walk up to the Point yesterday. With the SE winds there is a real feeling that something good is out there waiting to be found.

Departing birds were in evidence with a female Merlin heading straight out into the North Sea, 2 Pink Feet in Eye Field along with 20 plus Golden Plover, most in summer plumage. Plenty of Brent Geese still in the harbour.

Of the new arrivals:
1 or 2 stunning male Redstarts
25+ Wheatear
10 Willow Warbler
5 Chiffchaff
2 Whitethroats
2-3 Whimbrel flew over calling
Lots of Sandwich Terns

April is a great time of year!

Titchwell April 20th

Today’s highlights

Grasshopper warbler – 2 sing males on reserve
Little ringed plover – 2 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper – 2 on fresh marsh
Garganey – pair on fresh marsh
Lesser white-fronted goose – adult (of unknown origin) on fresh marsh

Paul

1 of the Nightingales was still present near the paddocks at Holme today aswell as a Redstart, 1 Med Gull heading east, 1 Tree Sparrow west and my first Reed Warbler of the year. A walk through the dunes produced a Whinchat, Turtle Dove, 12 Wheatears plus the usual Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Willow Warblers and Whitethroats. 2 Spoonbills were asleep in front of the NOA car park hide.

Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back