• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What did I miss? Terra ED??? (1 Viewer)

Mr Ingraham

It seems clear there will be no 32mm HT.

Can you give us a hint of what will replace the 32mm FL and when?

Lee

Mr Ingraham

It seems clear there will be no 32mm HT.

Can you give us a hint of what will replace the 32mm FL and when?

Lee
I can say no more than we are aware of the need for Victory class 32mm glass. The 32mm FL will remain in the line until we are able to offer a substantial upgrade.

I was given a warranty replacement Leica Ultravid 10x42 BL by Leica USA that is marked "Made in Portugal" for my German-made 10x42 BL bought in 2004 that I returned to Leica for warranty repair last year. I'm of mixed feelings about Leica service and product as of now. I didn't originally purchase a Leica Ultravid to have it come from Portugal.

Leica, and its predecessor company, Ernst Leitz, have been making binoculars and other optics in Portugal for decades without anyone complaining that the quality differed from the company's made in Germany products. The uppendahl prism Trinovids of the 1980's are a case in point. My guess is that your new Ultravid will prove noticeably better than its German-made 2004 example. My beef, evidently shared by some others on this thread, is practice of implying that a product is made in Germany when it simply isn't. Minox has been guilty of this in the past as has Docter for its B/CF roof prism binoculars.

Mr Ingraham

Some of us have encountered HTs with noticeable free-play in the focus action. For example I had my example changed because of it, Joe101 has reported it and Gijs has reported the same on another thread.

Is Zeiss taking steps to deal with this, which is not really acceptable on such a top $ product?

Lee

Stephen,

I take it that since you are going to be at the Birding Optics and Gear Expo in Ohio then you aren't going to be at the Cape May Annual Optics sale. I think they are the same weekend in March based on email I just received yesterday about the Expo. Is Zeiss going to be represented at Cape May on that weekend?

Last edited:
Stephen,

I take it that since you are going to be at the Birding Optics and Gear Expo in Ohio then you aren't going to be at the Cape May Annual Optics sale. I think they are the same weekend in March based on email I just received yesterday about the Expo. Is Zeiss going to be represented at Cape May on that weekend?
Rich Moncrief, who is now the Birding and Observation Channel Manager at the office in VA, will be in Cape May, along with our area rep. I am hoping there will be samples of both the HTs and TERRAs there for people to try. :)

Mr Ingraham

Some of us have encountered HTs with noticeable free-play in the focus action. For example I had my example changed because of it, Joe101 has reported it and Gijs has reported the same on another thread.

Is Zeiss taking steps to deal with this, which is not really acceptable on such a top $ product?

Lee
None of the HTs I have personally seen have had any issue with the focus...but of course, if there are samples that do, we will take it seriously. As I mentioned above, one of the elements of the ZEISS Premium Experience is smooth, precise, carefully turned focus. :)

Stephan

What about a Victory class 56mm?

Lee
Again, we are aware of the demand in the market, especially in Europe, for a Victory class 56mm. Our 56mm FL is still an outstanding glass...perhaps the brightest and sharpest binocular ever made...but our development process is always in gear.

Rich Moncrief, who is now the Birding and Observation Channel Manager at the office in VA, will be in Cape May, along with our area rep. I am hoping there will be samples of both the HTs and TERRAs there for people to try. :)

Thank you Stephen. I look forward to giving the Terra EDs a try. Still am interested in that little walking stick/tripod you had at the last event. Wouldn't be bad for a small camera or 50 mm spotter.

On Carl Zeiss Birding US, CZ responded to my query as to the origin of Terra ED's. They said that they are "designed, engineered, and quality assured in Germany by ZEISS, around SCHOTT ED glass. The assembly is outsourced to China."

So it seems that final quality assurance takes place in Germany AFTER manufacture in China. I guess if you're going to put you name and reputation on a product made in China at this point in time, bringing it home to check the quality prior to distribution is the way to go.

On Carl Zeiss Birding US, CZ responded to my query as to the origin of Terra ED's. They said that they are "designed, engineered, and quality assured in Germany by ZEISS, around SCHOTT ED glass. The assembly is outsourced to China."

So it seems that final quality assurance takes place in Germany AFTER manufacture in China. I guess if you're going to put you name and reputation on a product made in China at this point in time, bringing it home to check the quality prior to distribution is the way to go.

Thanks for this Elmo. Was there any indication where the lenses or prisms are manufactured?

Lee

Stephen,

Thanks for clarifying those issues, particularly that the Terra ED will not be a "Terrafun" and that the final product's armoring will not smell like "rubber tires". I remember what you wrote about the original Victories: "the rubber armor felt and smelled like new tires". And also your critique of the uncomfortable strap lugs and the astigmatism across the field in the original Victory, which produced less than stellar resolution.

As you wrote in your follow up review, the Victory II was revised to address the problems you pointed out (which might be one of the reasons why Zeiss hired you to help with their product development!):

http://www.betterviewdesired.com/Zeiss-Tries-Again-for-Victory.php

I'm optimistic about any "glitches" being worked out with the new lines of Zeiss bins with you on board. I enjoyed your reviews on "Better View Desired," bought some of the bins from your reference list including the Nikon 8x32 SE and 8x32 LX. Reading BVD was the beginning of my lifelong love of biding optics.

Earlier on this thread, a couple members questioned Zeiss developing a bin at the affordable price point, concerned that it might hurt the brand, but not me, I think it's great to have a "Volksbin" from Zeiss for those who would like to own high quality optics but who, like many people, no longer have a big enough budget to buy a $1,000 bin, let alone a $2,000 bin.

From your description, the Terra ED will be worthy of a BVD "Best Buy". ;) I started my bin collection with recommendations from your "Best Buys" (Celestron 8x32 Ultima, Swift 8x42 Ultralite).

Since I've got your ear, and by extension the ear of Zeiss, hopefully, I would like to make a suggestion. Zeiss manufactured some of the best porro binoculars ever made, but dropped them (except the 7x50 B/GA, which has IF EPs) in favor of advancing the roof model. I know you're a fan of the 8x32 and 10x42 SEs (both of which I own) and the 3-D effect and depth perception of porros.

Is there any chance we will ever see a new line of center focusing porros from Zeiss that would be suitable for birding?

Brock

Last edited:
To all those waiting with baited breath for the Terra ED... I was able to handle the prototypes brought by Stephen Ingraham to the San Diego Bird Festival today. Full review posted on my SDBF optics thread here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=251851

Short story: I think the Terras are going to be big winners at the $350 price point. Many Zeiss fans are going to be plenty happy having a pair of these in the car or luggage as their travel / back-up bins when they don't want to lug the big $$$ stuff.

How amusing, bemusing, and how typical of birdforum.... 278 posts worth of pure speculation, philosophical gyrations over brand purity, arguing over country of origin, fretting over the smell of rubber, etc... no problem! But somebody actually gets to use one of these and posts a review, a really positive one no less.... Yawn! Boring! Go figure...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back