• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Lifetime Warranty Issue (1 Viewer)

Tom Cook

United States
I have a pair of Zeiss 10x25B ClassicB compact binoculars for several years (purchased new). I had an issue with the focusing not resetting to zero and sent them to Zeiss in Hebron, KY for inspection and repair based on the Lifetime Warranty (I purchased the bino's new from an authorized Zeiss dealer).
Zeiss responded back that they could no longer repair these binoculars and would be replacing them with the Asian manufacturedTerra ED version of binoculars. I purchased German Manufactured binoculars because I liked the heritage and quality normally considered to be excellent with German designed and manufactured products (Zeiss included). The Terra ED's that Zeiss wanted to replace my German made binoculars with are Asian Mfg. I did not want binoculars manufactured in Asia. That's why I purchased what I preferred (binoculars manufactured in Germany).
Bottom line, I asked Zeiss to return my German manufactured binoculars and I am willing to pay a competent/capable repair shop to get my binoculars in alignment and to the point where I can enjoy them again.
I am not telling anyone what they should buy, and don't mean to degrade Asian manufactured products. They are just not for me and not what I purchased, nor expected as a replacement for binoculars that I would think should be repairable by the manufacture (focus not resetting to zero issue).
Please don't think I am degrading the Terra line of binoculars. If you own a pair I hope that you are enjoying them and wish you the best. I am only telling my story because Zeiss and I did not see eye to eye and I am disappointed and wanted to air my thoughts. Zeiss can move their manufacturing facilities to wherever they want and hopefully maintain the quality that they built their heritage on. I just will not be purchasing any more items from them.

TC

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

If it were me I would ask for the contact info of the Head of the warranty department. Then write a heartfelt letter line your post here and ask for a Victory pocket. Can’t hurt and might work.

I share the op’s sentiment to some extent, newer is not necessarily better and the replacement will have lost certain aspects eg light weight, aesthetics, and the collectible “made in germany” of the original.

At the same time, this is a chance for the op to go to a shop and try the current models of 8x25 and 10x25 - if for some reason you find one you like even better, then zeiss could be given the chance to honor their warranty with an exchange. If not, i would get it back and have it fixed privately, then try billing zeiss for full or partial reimbursement.

Think laterally!

I purchased an over 40-year-old pair of Zeiss 8x56's a month ago and sent them to Hebron for a stiff focus wheel and a complete service.
They contacted me a few days after receiving them informing me the service will be free.

I purchased an over 40-year-old pair of Zeiss 8x56's a month ago and sent them to Hebron for a stiff focus wheel and a complete service.
They contacted me a few days after receiving them informing me the service will be free.
Excellent.
But this model was reparable, what is the relevance in this context?

I have a pair of Zeiss 10x25B ClassicB compact binoculars for several years (purchased new). I had an issue with the focusing not resetting to zero and sent them to Zeiss in Hebron, KY for inspection and repair based on the Lifetime Warranty (I purchased the bino's new from an authorized Zeiss dealer).
Zeiss responded back that they could no longer repair these binoculars and would be replacing them with the Asian manufacturedTerra ED version of binoculars. I purchased German Manufactured binoculars because I liked the heritage and quality normally considered to be excellent with German designed and manufactured products (Zeiss included). The Terra ED's that Zeiss wanted to replace my German made binoculars with are Asian Mfg. I did not want binoculars manufactured in Asia. That's why I purchased what I preferred (binoculars manufactured in Germany).
Bottom line, I asked Zeiss to return my German manufactured binoculars and I am willing to pay a competent/capable repair shop to get my binoculars in alignment and to the point where I can enjoy them again.
I am not telling anyone what they should buy, and don't mean to degrade Asian manufactured products. They are just not for me and not what I purchased, nor expected as a replacement for binoculars that I would think should be repairable by the manufacture (focus not resetting to zero issue).
Please don't think I am degrading the Terra line of binoculars. If you own a pair I hope that you are enjoying them and wish you the best. I am only telling my story because Zeiss and I did not see eye to eye and I am disappointed and wanted to air my thoughts. Zeiss can move their manufacturing facilities to wherever they want and hopefully maintain the quality that they built their heritage on. I just will not be purchasing any more items from them.

TC
An awakening experience, for some (myself included).

It occurred to me with another brand. The model was discontinued, therefore no repairs possible. I was entitled to have a credit. As per warranty.
But I was very uninterested to buy again from them.

How long will the newer Glasses FL HT and SF repaired? A 42mm HT in 20 years repairable or buying a new when there is a defekt?

How long will the newer Glasses FL HT and SF repaired? A 42mm HT in 20 years repairable or buying a new when there is a defekt?
At the moment they're still repairing some Diaylt at a cost. If they still have the parts needed they'll probably repair them at a cost to you - how long that will be is a big unknown. Warranty repairs/replacements are more likely to be decided on which is the more cost effective option for the company.

At the moment they're still repairing some Diaylt at a cost. If they still have the parts needed they'll probably repair them at a cost to you - how long that will be is a big unknown. Warranty repairs/replacements are more likely to be decided on which is the more cost effective option for the company.
Dialyts are still repaired, within reason, for free in Canada. They all carried the Zeiss lifetime warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back