• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

windows 8 to 8.1(recovery disc) (1 Viewer)

Brian Bullough

DIGIDOPE
I upgraded from Microsoft from win8 to 8.1 via download .
It did work Ok but now it will not boot up(starts then screen goes black) and I am informed via the web that the win8 repair disc will not work with the downloaded 8.1 upgrade( although I had tried with no effect) .

I should have made a recovery disc from the 8.1 upgrade ? , which I can't now because I have no access to computer .
Apparently I can only get the download from Microsoft, anyone had similar problem and can provide a link as I can't seem to find anything.

Overall this windows 8/8.1 system has been nothing but problems and if help is available from Microsoft it's very hard to find, but others with similar problems is not !!!

Can you boot into safe mode and use the recovery environment feature?

Here is a link to ways to get into safe mode and also an 'article' on a similar problem.

Dave

http://www.7tutorials.com/5-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-8-windows-81

If Windows 8 fails to start, the Automatic Recovery feature should launch automatically and use a combination of a System Restore point and malware scan (+recovery) to get your PC back to a bootable state. However, if Automatic Recovery fails, it’s time to boot into the Windows 8 recovery environment from which you’ll have a few additional options that’ll get you going again: First, turn on your PC and repeatedly hit SHIFT+F8 right before the Windows 8 logo is seen on screen. Alternatively, plug in your Windows 8 USB thumb drive or insert the DVD and enter the setup. Jump to “Repair your PC” right from the installer’s welcome screen:

From the recovery environment, click on “Troubleshoot”. If your PC is damaged beyond repair and you forgot to create an image (see previous question), try the “Refresh your PC” setting. This will back up your Windows 8 apps, settings and files and then perform a complete reinstall and restore. You’ll end up back in your known Windows 8 environment, and all there is to do is reinstall your application. If, for whatever reason, the damage is serious enough that’ll make the PC Refresh fail, a complete PC Reset might be in order:

Again, consider both of these options as a sort of “last resort”. Instead, you should make your way to the “Advanced options” and try both the “System Restore” and “Automatic Repair” settings. If you’ve created an image (see previous question), you should try the “System Image Recovery” setting:

Thanks Dave , The F8 key has no effect on windows 8.1.
I have tried the repair disc for windows 8 it ran through but the repair did not boot the system, apparently the disc will not work on the 8.1 upgrade.
What I should have done was make a disc from 8.1 which I did not.
So what it seems I need at the moment is a bootable disc from a windows 8 upgraded to windows 8.1 64bit ( a disc from a straight windows 8.1 system will not work either)
So a search from the net revealed that you can get such a download (win8 to 8.1 upgrade repair disc) from Microsoft , I have tried numerous search terms but can't seem to find it , and was wondering if anyone had similar problem and good provide link , or source for disc ?
Cheers
Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back