• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cleaning binos after river dunk (1 Viewer)

thedanny

Hi I have a pair of Zeiss Victory 8x32's. Recently they went all the way under for about 3 seconds on a kayaking trip...on the Gunpowder River here in Maryland. They seem fine, the optics look exactly the same as normal. I am just wondering if I should be worried about anything in the river water having gotten all over the binos [bacteria, etc?] Should I rinse the binos and lenses in tap water? Or just leave them as is? Thanks!

thedanny, post 1,
I rinse the binocular in tap water and dry it carefully with a soft cloth, only for the optics I use a special tissue for cleaning lenses.
Gijs van Ginkel

I doubt there is anything to be concerned about. Although the bins are supposed to be waterproof, I don't think it is a good idea to wash bins unless they are covered in mud or salt. I'd leave yours alone except ongoing routine cleaning.

--AP

If you rinse them in tap water, I would then immediately pour some distilled water over them, then dry them off the best you can. Most tap water contains mineral deposits that can leave spots. You can see this on clear drinking glasses after being washed and left to air dry.

When we are hiking in the mountains and come back to our tent, passing one of the nice littlle villages in Switserland, France or another country, I often give my binocular a bath in one of the fountains with water coming from the mountains slopes: cold and crystal clear. It is always a treat to watch the faces of the people around the fountains when I do that. Not every brand is suited to withstand this treatment, but after numerous tests I know exactly which one does and which one does not.
(The immersion tests were performed at home for quality tests of the binoculars, so I know which instrument can handle this treatment and which one does not, despite waterproof labels by the producer).
Gijs van Ginkel

Canon recommends dunking their 10x42ISL porros in a bucket of fresh water after using them in a salt water environment. Presumably the dunk is less stressful for the waterproofing than spraying the glass with a hose.
The Zeiss Victory 8x32s should be at least equally well protected.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back