• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hard drives? (1 Viewer)

[from the name of the thread, I thought this would be about a high-speed trip along the A149 from Burnham Overy to Weybourne to see an Eye-browed Thrush in 30 minutes of remaining daylight.... never mind ;)]

johnrobinson said:
Post card
The computer buffs will cringe !! - but - this is what I do. Go to
a computer fair and get a load of old well - not that old - hard drives. If you have two cd drives- most computers have, - take one out. If you have a dvd drive you don't need the cd drive anyway. Bring the IDE cable and power cable outside your computer. Oh dear !! you have to take the side off. Connect your newly acquired hard dives ( with the jumpers set to "slave" ) and then copy stuff to there. When one drive is full- connect another.
Cheers
JohnR
That's what I shall do when I get my new set up, except I wouldn't trust iffy drives from a fair.

Mick

Go look at the Epsion P-2000 or the Epsion P-4000. You can see and share and blow way up and edit out the junk fast making more room for the good stuff. Shoot a small j-peg along with your raw. The Epsion will only enlarge the J-peg but that will work just fine out and about. This is a favorite toy of mine.

Computer fairs always seem a bit pricey to me except for media. PC World are convenient but expensive.

Try www.savastore.com. Prices are low, and they have a huge range, although after sales service is said to be poor. I bought a Lacie 250GB ext HDD from them and it works fine. The one big disadvantage is that I have yet another power supply to plug in, as the Lacie needs external power. It comes with basic backup software, that allows me to select which folders to save.

As someone else suggested, you could buy a HD caddy and insert it in one of the optical drive bays (removing a CD/DVD player if need be). Then you just buy internal hard drives to fit the caddy. In the long run this is cheaper. But you will need to buy separate backup software. There is some free stuff available, and it works, but is not especially elegant.

Leif said:
Computer fairs always seem a bit pricey to me except for media. PC World are convenient but expensive.

Try www.savastore.com. Prices are low, and they have a huge range, although after sales service is said to be poor. I bought a Lacie 250GB ext HDD from them and it works fine. The one big disadvantage is that I have yet another power supply to plug in, as the Lacie needs external power. It comes with basic backup software, that allows me to select which folders to save.

As someone else suggested, you could buy a HD caddy and insert it in one of the optical drive bays (removing a CD/DVD player if need be). Then you just buy internal hard drives to fit the caddy. In the long run this is cheaper. But you will need to buy separate backup software. There is some free stuff available, and it works, but is not especially elegant.

Hi Leif,
Why do you need backup software, I went to a pc fair bought an external case and hard drive and I just save my photos to a folder which I date and then send the folder over to my external H/drive I,ve been doing this for about 18 months with no problems.I forgot to mention I only send them to my external H/Drive when I have finished processing the photos,and I only switch my ex on when I want to view or have some photos to transfer.
Regards.
Stan.

stanacko said:
Hi Leif,
Why do you need backup software, I went to a pc fair bought an external case and hard drive and I just save my photos to a folder which I date and then send the folder over to my external H/drive I,ve been doing this for about 18 months with no problems.I forgot to mention I only send them to my external H/Drive when I have finished processing the photos,and I only switch my ex on when I want to view or have some photos to transfer.
Regards.
Stan.

Hello Stan: Why? Because I find it tedious having to manually copy data across. I have a lot of folders that potentially change, including email archive, personal settings, documents, photos and so on. I do admit though that I only perform the full backup occasionally, and often just copy across the most recently added image folder, on the grounds that the full backup takes an hour and ties up the CPU.

Leif

Leif said:
Hello Stan: Why? Because I find it tedious having to manually copy data across. I have a lot of folders that potentially change, including email archive, personal settings, documents, photos and so on. I do admit though that I only perform the full backup occasionally, and often just copy across the most recently added image folder, on the grounds that the full backup takes an hour and ties up the CPU.

Leif

Hi Leif,
Yes I understand now that,s why I do,nt let mine build up I transfer the photo,s every time I take some. Regards.
Stan.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I have stuck with the idea of an external one, I don't fancy messing around with internal ones and it makes it easier when I change the PC in the future. So I've just ordered 2x250GB externals for £65 each which seemed a decent price to me.

Sounds good to me too Peter, nice one!

btw it takes me 20 minutes to download 3 gig of images from my cf cards :(

Late to the conversation, I back all my photos on an external drive and then every time I have another 5Gb I transfer to a DVD, not sure if this is safer than 2 hard drives. When this 300Gb drive is full I'll remove it for storage and start a new one but still hard copying to DVD

Hard disks (and other disks) fail all the time for all sorts of reasons and to varying degrees. I've had a couple of disks fail on me in the past. One was a serious fail of a Maxtor drive and I lost a lot of valuable data (most of it backed up though). I've heard that the Maxtor drives have improved a lot since then (2000ish), but I've since always bought Western Digital. No failures of those, but I'm sure everyone has different stories.

If anyone is really serious about data storage (as I am) they should look into RAID. The idea is that multiple hard disks are combined into one logical hard disk via hardware controllers and so the operating sees one hard disk, but in reality the data is being shared or replicated across multiple disks. Most server machines are using a RAID setup, and this is the standard method for long-term storage of sensitive data.

Description of RAID on Wikipedia
Description of various RAID levels
Step-by-step instructions for setting up a RAID array

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back