• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"old" 300 2.8 vs. new 300.28 II (1 Viewer)

MWA

Hi,

As a former very happy owner of 300/2.8 I sold it some time ago as I thought about buying th new 500/4 II. Meanwhile I have seen excellent pictures taken with the new version, however not enough to get the idea whether and what kind of improvements the new 300/2.8 actuallly gives.

But now I actually might change my mind and purchase the new version 300/2.8 instead of 500/4 (which still is awful expensive)...

So, owners of the new version, could you pls comment whether and what kind of improvements you experience with the new version compared to the "old" (if you were owner of the old version). All owners of the new version is of course appreciated, as well as others oppinions and thoughts :)

Brgds/MWA

Hi MWA,

This might help with your situation:
In March 2008 I bought the Canon 300 Mk 1 IS f2.8 along with the 1.4x and 2x converters and used it for about 8 months before selling it to fund a new 500 f4 . After 4 years I have sold the 500mm and gone back to the Mk ll 300mm with the new MKlll converters.

The main reason being that I was struggling to carry around the extra weight of the 500 plus tripod/head etc, and having read the critiques of the new Canon lenses working with the new extenders and being much lighter to use as a walkabout kit, I re-invested in another 300mm.

Another significant reason for this purchase was the "improved" IQ when coupled with the Mklll 2x, so I am now in effect taking images as though I owned a 600mm, plus the 1.6 crop factor of the 7D AND managing well handheld.

I have managed to find some comparable images of the similar sized Black Redstart from my archive in 2008 displayed first, taken with a 30D to show alongside that of last months Black Redstart with the new lens and 7D.
Both original Raws were with the 2x attached full frame, and then I have cropped these to approx the same size ( only the same sharpening applied to both final images after downsizing for the Web ). Both shots were handheld from almost the same distance.

The latest lens with the 2x has given me some great images which I will post shortly.

Hope this helps,

Ian

Attachments

• IMG_8158-Edit.jpg
    IMG_8158-Edit.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_8158-Edit-3.jpg
    IMG_8158-Edit-3.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_8947-Edit.jpg
    IMG_8947-Edit.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_8947-Edit-3.jpg
    IMG_8947-Edit-3.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 211
Hi MWA,

This might help with your situation:
In March 2008 I bought the Canon 300 Mk 1 IS f2.8 along with the 1.4x and 2x converters and used it for about 8 months before selling it to fund a new 500 f4 . After 4 years I have sold the 500mm and gone back to the Mk ll 300mm with the new MKlll converters.

The main reason being that I was struggling to carry around the extra weight of the 500 plus tripod/head etc, and having read the critiques of the new Canon lenses working with the new extenders and being much lighter to use as a walkabout kit, I re-invested in another 300mm.

Another significant reason for this purchase was the "improved" IQ when coupled with the Mklll 2x, so I am now in effect taking images as though I owned a 600mm, plus the 1.6 crop factor of the 7D AND managing well handheld.

I have managed to find some comparable images of the similar sized Black Redstart from my archive in 2008 displayed first, taken with a 30D to show alongside that of last months Black Redstart with the new lens and 7D.
Both original Raws were with the 2x attached full frame, and then I have cropped these to approx the same size ( only the same sharpening applied to both final images after downsizing for the Web ). Both shots were handheld from almost the same distance.

The latest lens with the 2x has given me some great images which I will post shortly.

Hope this helps,

Ian

Here is a typical example of the "croppability" made possible by the quality of the new 300mm + 2x attached .

The Heron was approx 20 mtrs away. Handheld and no sharpening applied.

Ian

Attachments

• IMG_4106-Edit.jpg
    IMG_4106-Edit.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_4106-Edit-2.jpg
    IMG_4106-Edit-2.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_4106-Edit-3.jpg
    IMG_4106-Edit-3.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 302
If I ever get a long lens for birding it will almost certainly be the Canon 300/2.8 MKII with the new converters.
I did own a 300/2.8 MkI for a couple of years and it was a great lens (even with the 2x tc MkII) but for hand holding the new lens must be better, especially when using a 2x tc - it is lighter and the 4 stop IS must help.

The Heron crop is impressive Ian :t:

Not a comment on 300.. Just saying I really like dragon fly between beak..did you know it was there when taking shot?

Having observed its behaviour previuosly when it came out of the water, I guessed it would be looking for dragonflies and anticipated the quick (very!) lunge and got four shots. This was the most dramatic.

Ian

Hi Ian and Roy for useful and interesting comments. Im not still 100% sure which one to go for, but your comments were great (and pics too...)

Thanks

Michael

I was recently fortuitous enough in picking up a mk2 300 lens to potentially replace my existing 300. I’ve been really happy with the mk 1 lens version and use it with both 1.4x and 2x extenders, I didn’t plan on upgrading it but when a 3 month old mk2 was advertised at a quite frankly stupid price it was a no brainer to break open the piggy bank.

Anyway, having clicked off about 800 images using the new mk2 lens my first impressions are mixed and I’ll explain.

Positives
1.) Front element – The mk1 had a protective glass front element which was a bugger to clean if a stray finger print made it on or if you got watermarks from using it in rainy weather. The new one has a lovely new coating which makes a noticeable difference, water beads off and dries without leaving a mark and it’s easier to clean should it become soiled.

2.) Hood design – WOW what a difference over the old one, I really struggled with attaching the old hood and was always worried about taking paint off which inevitably happens. Canon has addressed this really well and the new hood locates into a black rubberised groove really easily and will not chip like on the old lens.

3.) Weight – A little less goes a long way, the new lens feels better balanced in the hand with the weight being evenly distributed - the mk1 felt front heavy. I carry the camera and lens on a Black Rapid strap and when swinging it up to shoot, I feel the camera lens mount is having less stress and torque put onto it. With the mk1 I was very conscious of this and would always try to support the lens weight, whereas the new version has me more relaxed about how I handle it to shoot with.

4.) New button layout – Another big improvement, the IS and AF group buttons have now been split out into two panels making blind switching of these much easier. The main winner for me is the relocated and later AF/MF button design which lies flatter and does not get switched over accidently which did happen a few times on my mk1 causing missed shots.

5.) Larger focus ring – I’m not sure if they have changed the gearing on this but first impressions are that it’s easier to MF using this lens, it feels more accurate and precise to me.

6.) Rotating collar – The action on the one is a lot smoother and less notchy, it has soft locating pin which locates every 90 degrees, great for when using on a tripod.

7.) Focus speed – I have mk3 extenders which was a big factor in going for the upgrade. I get faster focus using these on the mk2 lens when compare against the mk1, it’s not night and day but the difference is there to see and I found that there is no noticeable image degradation in the real world using the 1.4x extender. I’ve not used the x2 enough to have an opinion yet.

8.) Flare resistance - Shooting backlit subjects using the mk2 gave better pleasing images.

Negatives
1.) AF servo accuracy – My first impressions are that I get 20% less shots in 100% critical focus when compared to my mk1 lens. There is a caveat though, which is that my new lens does not currently have the firmware update applied which is supposed to address this aspect. I certainly will be dropping the lens off at a Canon Service Centre to get the update applied under warranty and really hope this does improve with the firmware update, as potentially it could be a deal breaker for me.

2.) Price – It will cost about 2.5k to upgrade and if you don’t use extenders I’d probably go to say it’s not really worth it. However, if you can get the cost of change to about 1k then all those those little improvements would be worth the extra money as long as the firmware update improves AF servo accuracy.

Quote:- "Negatives
1.) AF servo accuracy – My first impressions are that I get 20% less shots in 100% critical focus when compared to my mk1 lens. There is a caveat though, which is that my new lens does not currently have the firmware update applied which is supposed to address this aspect. I certainly will be dropping the lens off at a Canon Service Centre to get the update applied under warranty and really hope this does improve with the firmware update, as potentially it could be a deal breaker for me."

Hi Sam,
Can you explain what this "Firmware update" is please?

thanks,
Ian

Surrey Sam said:
Negatives
1.) AF servo accuracy – My first impressions are that I get 20% less shots in 100% critical focus when compared to my mk1 lens. There is a caveat though, which is that my new lens does not currently have the firmware update applied which is supposed to address this aspect. I certainly will be dropping the lens off at a Canon Service Centre to get the update applied under warranty and really hope this does improve with the firmware update, as potentially it could be a deal breaker for me.

Hi Sam,
Can you explain what this "Firmware update" is please?

thanks,
Ian

Hi Ian,

I'm not that technically minded but my understanding is that a new algorithm has been devised by Canon to upload onto chip within the lens. This apparently improves the AI servo performance on the mk2 super telephoto lens and I hope this is true.

More detail on the firmware update can be found on the below link:

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/System/Search.aspx?TcmUri=tcm:14-956189&Search=Canon&SearchType=2

Hope that helps.

Regards
Sam

Hi Ian,

I'm not that technically minded but my understanding is that a new algorithm has been devised by Canon to upload onto chip within the lens. This apparently improves the AI servo performance on the mk2 super telephoto lens and I hope this is true.

More detail on the firmware update can be found on the below link:

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/System/Search.aspx?TcmUri=tcm:14-956189&Search=Canon&SearchType=2

Hope that helps.

Regards
Sam

Many thanks Sam,
Looks like I'll be visiting Colchester camera repairs soon.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for very informative and interesting input. I recognise many of the things about the "old" 300/2.8.

Whta about optical performance for the new model... have you noticed any improvements. I never doubted the sharpness of my lens, but I "imagined" there lacked some saturation/boquet/color/contrast in my pics when I compared my 300 with the 500/4. The new 300 might have better image quality? When I have seen pics using the new 300 I THINK Im able to notice improvements in this field due the improved coatning/fluorite elements. Maybe Im wrong?

Brgds

Michael

Hi Ian,

Thanks for very informative and interesting input. I recognise many of the things about the "old" 300/2.8.

Whta about optical performance for the new model... have you noticed any improvements. I never doubted the sharpness of my lens, but I "imagined" there lacked some saturation/boquet/color/contrast in my pics when I compared my 300 with the 500/4. The new 300 might have better image quality? When I have seen pics using the new 300 I THINK Im able to notice improvements in this field due the improved coatning/fluorite elements. Maybe Im wrong?

Brgds

Michael

Hi Michael,
To be honest, I haven't really done any comparisons between the two lenses as regards the elements you are enquiring about. To my old (and tired) eyes,
I am more than happy with the results after converting the Raws in Lightroom. I don't do a great deal of extra processing in PS - it is more a question of tweaking the Noise levels if anything. The fact that my photos from 4 years ago on the 300Mkl (and 2 years ago with the 500mm) were taken with 30D or 40D/50D cameras as well as 1Dlll, make judgements of this nature very subjective.
The most important factor for me always has been the clarity and sharpness of the images, especially with the converters, (which IMHO are now better with the Mklll's). In this respect, as you will know, the 300f2.8 is a superb lens and so versatile (bare lens at f2.8 in low light, 1.4x for mid-range fast focussing and 2x for reach).

Regds,
Ian

I was recently fortuitous enough in picking up a mk2 300 lens to potentially replace my existing 300. I’ve been really happy with the mk 1 lens version and use it with both 1.4x and 2x extenders, I didn’t plan on upgrading it but when a 3 month old mk2 was advertised at a quite frankly stupid price it was a no brainer to break open the piggy bank.

Anyway, having clicked off about 800 images using the new mk2 lens my first impressions are mixed and I’ll explain.

Positives
1.) Front element – The mk1 had a protective glass front element which was a bugger to clean if a stray finger print made it on or if you got watermarks from using it in rainy weather. The new one has a lovely new coating which makes a noticeable difference, water beads off and dries without leaving a mark and it’s easier to clean should it become soiled.

2.) Hood design – WOW what a difference over the old one, I really struggled with attaching the old hood and was always worried about taking paint off which inevitably happens. Canon has addressed this really well and the new hood locates into a black rubberised groove really easily and will not chip like on the old lens.

3.) Weight – A little less goes a long way, the new lens feels better balanced in the hand with the weight being evenly distributed - the mk1 felt front heavy. I carry the camera and lens on a Black Rapid strap and when swinging it up to shoot, I feel the camera lens mount is having less stress and torque put onto it. With the mk1 I was very conscious of this and would always try to support the lens weight, whereas the new version has me more relaxed about how I handle it to shoot with.

4.) New button layout – Another big improvement, the IS and AF group buttons have now been split out into two panels making blind switching of these much easier. The main winner for me is the relocated and later AF/MF button design which lies flatter and does not get switched over accidently which did happen a few times on my mk1 causing missed shots.

5.) Larger focus ring – I’m not sure if they have changed the gearing on this but first impressions are that it’s easier to MF using this lens, it feels more accurate and precise to me.

6.) Rotating collar – The action on the one is a lot smoother and less notchy, it has soft locating pin which locates every 90 degrees, great for when using on a tripod.

7.) Focus speed – I have mk3 extenders which was a big factor in going for the upgrade. I get faster focus using these on the mk2 lens when compare against the mk1, it’s not night and day but the difference is there to see and I found that there is no noticeable image degradation in the real world using the 1.4x extender. I’ve not used the x2 enough to have an opinion yet.

8.) Flare resistance - Shooting backlit subjects using the mk2 gave better pleasing images.

Negatives

2.) Price – It will cost about 2.5k to upgrade and if you don’t use extenders I’d probably go to say it’s not really worth it. However, if you can get the cost of change to about 1k then all those those little improvements would be worth the extra money as long as the firmware update improves AF servo accuracy.

Hi Sam

have you had the firmware update done to your lens v 1.1.1 ? Or was yours done when you got it ?

Thanks

Many thanks Sam,
Looks like I'll be visiting Colchester camera repairs soon.

Ian

No problem Ian, it would be good to read if you find any difference with the updated firmware.

What about optical performance for the new model... have you noticed any improvements. I never doubted the sharpness of my lens, but I "imagined" there lacked some saturation/boquet/color/contrast in my pics when I compared my 300 with the 500/4. The new 300 might have better image quality? When I have seen pics using the new 300 I THINK Im able to notice improvements in this field due the improved coatning/fluorite elements. Maybe Im wrong?

Brgds

Michael

Hi Michael, The only optical difference I have found with the mk2 is that the lens performed better in backlit conditions, handling flare more pleasingly than the previous version. Other than that, my amateur eyes can see no further improvement, but that is understandable as the mk1 300 was/is a mighty fine piece of glass. I often think people suffer the placebo effect with new gear and think - "it's new, so must be better in all areas".

If I get time, I might try and set up the tripod to compare the mk1 300 to the mk2 300 and see what we get. Although 'tests' are not my sort of thing, but I'm sure others will find value in it.

Hi Sam

have you had the firmware update done to your lens v 1.1.1 ? Or was yours done when you got it ?

Thanks

Evening Chas,

My thoughts a few posts above were based on the original v1.0.0 firmware and not the updated one.

However, I have just got in this evening from having the new v1.1.1 firmware applied by Fixation who did this whilst I waited; just need to try it out now. My fingers are crossed for improved AI Servo performance, hopefully to the original mk 1 level or better!

No problem Ian, it would be good to read if you find any difference with the updated firmware.

Hi Michael, The only optical difference I have found with the mk2 is that the lens performed better in backlit conditions, handling flare more pleasingly than the previous version. Other than that, my amateur eyes can see no further improvement, but that is understandable as the mk1 300 was/is a mighty fine piece of glass. I often think people suffer the placebo effect with new gear and think - "it's new, so must be better in all areas".

If I get time, I might try and set up the tripod to compare the mk1 300 to the mk2 300 and see what we get. Although 'tests' are not my sort of thing, but I'm sure others will find value in it.

Evening Chas,

My thoughts a few posts above were based on the original v1.0.0 firmware and not the updated one.

However, I have just got in this evening from having the new v1.1.1 firmware applied by Fixation who did this whilst I waited; just need to try it out now. My fingers are crossed for improved AI Servo performance, hopefully to the original mk 1 level or better!

Ditto from Colchester Canon Repairs yesterday- 35 mins and it was done!
Excellent service.

Ian

I would think any inprovment would be hard to see on the bare lens, after all it has always been one of canons sharpest .
With the new 1.4 a little gain over the the mk2 and most likely the same again or a bit more sharpness with the 2xtc .
It does make for a great package but quite a lot of money over the older options .
Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back