• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluebird question... (1 Viewer)

bamabluebird

We have a pair of bluebirds that getting ready to fledge a brood of 4 babies soon. Recently we put up a few more bluebird nesting boxes and it looks like this pair is checking out one of the new boxes. Will they set up housekeeping in another box and get a jump start on the next brood while taking care of chicks in the first one?

I have 5 little bluebirds getting ready to fledge. In my experience the female will start a new nest 3-4 days after the chicks of the previous brood fledge.

yes, but i'm assuming that's in the same nesting box as the first brood. i had heard somewhere that house finches will have more than one nest going at a time (one with hatchlings getting ready to fledge and the other with new eggs). since these bluebirds were checking out the new nesting box, i was wondering if they would do the same thing and maybe alternate boxes.

it is so cool to watch them fledge. i got to witness that last year!!

well, it turns out that this brood never fledged. i thought they had but i never saw them with the parents like i did last year. when i noticed that the parents weren't going to the nest with food any more i checked the nest, and no babies (not even a feather!). i saw the parents around the yard but no babies with them! after talking with someone about it the other day, they said that a snake got them!! and they were getting to fledge too!!!

now the parents are starting on the next brood, i saw three eggs in the nest yesterday. i've been trying to find snake guards to order online. i've found the baffle type but only instructions on how to build your own shield (cone shaped) type. i've also read that slicking up the post with vaseline or putting hot pepper on the post would keep the snakes away. also read that putting moth balls or lime on the ground would work too. what have you guys tried that worked? i'm getting desperate!

I have a suggestion. I have had major problems with snakes in the past and found that sulfur will keep them away. The sulfur irritates their skin, but does no damage to the snake. Just buy a bag at a lawn care center and sprinkle it in a 6ft. area around the box. Since I started using the sulfur I have had no snake attacks on my bluebirds or flickers.

thanks ncbirds...

i jjust bought a bag of lime at the farm center at lunch. if this doesn't work i'll try the sulfur. i guess i should sprinkle the lime in the same size area around the box too (6 ft.)? but how thick should i spread it? this is hydrogenated lime, not regular garden lime.

Yes, I would still cover a 6 foot area around the box. I spread it around enough so that it whitens the ground a little bit. Also, make sure to put more down every week or so...especially after heavy rainfall.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back