• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Annoying non bird lovers (1 Viewer)

lesf

What really tee's me off are the people who visit my local trust with bags and bags of bread for the 'ducks' With the abundance of food in the lakes why on earth do people persist with feeding bread to the birds? Nutritionally second rate and at this time of year not required, then in the winter when food is scarce it is left to a few of us to buy proper food for them and the bread throwers are not to be seen. the other type of person is the dog walker who thinks it's OK to let their pooch go for a swim with young water fowl swimming for their life in terror, they do not do it out of cruelty but ignorance and when they are asked by the volunteers to stop we are the ones being cruel, strange old world.

Our local Swans and ducks at the Millom entrance to the Hodbarrow RSPB reserve must be some of the best fed ducks etc in the country.All through the year there is a constant stream of grandparents with buggies ,and parents,feeding these wildfowl.
But there is a plus side to this.These children get to know the various wildfowl and the Swans with their cygnets,and they respect them.They are told by their parents to be kind and feed them the bread etc,and not to throw stones etc.The children when they go to the reserve when they are older know the regular birds and also know the species names.
Only thing is,I do wish they would take home with them the discarded wrappers.The place really is a tip.

Very good point, Christine. Very good point. It is only by exposing kids to wildlife when they are young that they learn to care for it in later life. This is not just a random opinion, it has been demonstrated. The only known predictor for people who will do practical conservation work is childhood exposure to nature. There seems to be no correlation with income, political left vs right, education, religious views, occupation, socio-economic status ... it's exposure to nature at an early age that makes people turn into useful citizens in later life.

If that means a few ducks and sparrows getting too fat to fly, well so be it.

PS: but I wish they wold give them something better than processed white bread!

Last edited:
Tannin said:
PS: but I wish they wold give them something better than processed white bread!
I have spent most of my life as a non birder but I did take my kids to the park and fed the ducks bread on many occasions over the years and never realised I might be doing them harm, so the thing is, what should people feed the ducks with, bread being cheap and readily available and how do you let non birder types know this, I suspect the answer is nothing but I am mindful of the very important element that Christine has mentioned.

Mick

On the other hand, I wish I had those problems. Here, people just shoot opr trap birds. Feeding some bread to the ducks seems pretty harmless in comparison.

Funny that this thread should be presented.
I agree that the best way for adults to have respect for wildlife is through early exposure. My recent experience, though, is on a slightly different thread.
I work parttime as a landscaper. One of my co-workers has been rubbing me the wrong way since the first day I met her. The other day, though, she really crossed a line. We were in a wonderful setting, pulling weeds, it was still morning and the Blue Jays, Chipping Sparrows, Robins and Cardinals were having a hey-day. So many wonderful sounds to work with. This one particular co-worker, while I was blissfully weeding away, shouts, "Man, I wish those birds would shut up, they are so annoying." This, a couple days after she found out what a bird enthusiast I am. Well, clearly what else could I do but walk over and hit her over the head with a Bentley shovel? Problem solved.

Can anyone relate?

The fellow I knew who patrolled with a broom each spring to sweep down all the welcome swallows' nests that appeared under his eaves, lest the birds should poo on his verandah.

I'm happy not to live near him any more.

Had a similar problem a few years ago when a neighbour of one of my mates knocked down ten partly built House Martins nests just after they had arrived. had a quick word explaining it was illegal and he left them rebuild. Happy to say that none now nest on his house, but are on houses at the top end of my terrace

Last edited:
In the "feeding area" near where I live children are taught to respect the wildlife, throwing them bread instead of rocks. It's wonderful seeing the children "convert"!

My vet told me a little something which I share with dog walkers who insist on breaking the local laws by letting their dogs swim in the river ... ducks and geese carry a parasite! If one lets their dog swim in the same water as the ducks and geese, their dogs will also become infected. My neighbour learned this the hard and expensive way! Their beautiful "lassie-type" collie had to have its tail shaved like a poodle's! People would also become infected if they swim with said ducks and geese, I don't remember the name of the parasite, but the condition in people is called "swimmers' itch".

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back