• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

They're only Pigeons (2 Viewers)

[...]

Getting a Hawk in around the breeding season is the tactic to make them go elsewhere

The problem with flying Hawks in the "Breeding Season", is there isn't one, it's all year round if conditions are favourable (temperature doesn't seem to matter, but they do respond to the availability of food). Falconers' Hawks do occasionally catch and eat sick Feral Pigeons, which isn't good news for the local wild Peregrines and Sparrowhawks.

I've also seen plenty of Gulls with missing feet/legs, Ducks and Geese too. Nylon Fishing line is often the culprit for birds in or near water, I guess (only a guess) Fishing Nets drying on beaches catch a few too. As @Nutcracker said above; rubbish at landfill sites maims/injures many.

I have only just seen this post Chris, so apologies for the late response.

I am with you mate on this one and any other bird that is "deterred" using netting or any other items that will harm the bird.

In Derby we have breeding Peregrines at the Cathedral every year, but the pigeons still fly around in that area undeterred by their presence. I regularily have both feral and wood pigeons in my garden and have never seen an injured one. I did tend to an old one once who chose to die in my garden, perhaps because he felt safe.

I've seen plenty of gulls with missing / injured feet - many more so than pigeons. In the case of gulls, not netting (I guess, not much used around here?), but getting feet trapped in rubbish while feeding on landfills. Feet trapped in tins, 6-pack wrappers, etc., etc., etc.

I've seen many gulls with balloons tangled around feet and necks, I managed to cut a kittiwake free, but only because it was exhausted. All others haven't been so lucky .

I hate balloons, why it's OK to release thousands of them at special events confuses me.

There are many ferals in my local High St about half a mile away but I've never seen one in my garden.

Always a couple of Woodies around, and they do a great job cleaning under the feeders.

I've not noted netting here, spikes are the more preferable method in Ontario (to my observation). Very astute observations though, a shame many look down on pigeons, which look pretty cool all told.

Thank you for this information. Downtown, I regularly see pigeons hobbling on amputated feet; it hurts to think of the pain they must be in.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back