• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird I.D. USA, Florida, Miami (November) (1 Viewer)

lvanbergeijk

I hope someone can help me with the I.D. of this bird I saw the 15th of November in the A.D. Barnes Park, Miami, Florida.
It looks a bit like a Tanager, but I am not sure.
Looking forward to your suggestions.

141115183506.jpg

141115183529.jpg

Kind regards,
Leo

Looks like a Tanager to me as well - like a young Summer Tanager with wingbars. What's it doing with wingbars? If it were in the south-west, I'd call it a young Western Tanager...

P.S. Welcome to BF!

Well it is a tanager...with two wing bars.

I don't assume Western is common in your area, but if summer or scarlet can look like this I need to check my local tanagers more carefully...

Thank you both for your reply.
Our first thought was Western Tanager too, because of the wing bars. But we are aware of its uncommonly presence in the south-east. Actually, earlier that day we found an adult Western Tanager a little more south near the entrance of Castellow Hammock (see picture). But what are the odds to find two different Western Tanagers on the same day in the south-east of the USA?
141115151903.jpg
Kind regards,
Leo

Last edited:
Well, there's no doubt about the ID of that second photo! The yellow "shoulder patch" is unique to Western (amongst the NA "tanagers").
My National Geographic Complete Birds of North America says that this species is a "rare wanderer to the east, mainly in fall." It seems that this information is incorrect, or at least, out-of-date. Or perhaps there was a large movement of migratory birds eastward this year, due to some extraordinary weather event?

Sibley shows a swarm of green dots for Western Tanager in Florida, so they can't be that rare on fall passage. I'd also guess that this late in the year, most Scalet Tanagers will have left already, so any tanager is worth checking in detail as there's a higher chance of it being an interesting one.

Check local reports to see if there's been others reported, too.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back