• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Superzooms (1 Viewer)

I am looking to upgrade from my CanonS2IS. I want the hd video option along with more zoom and megapixels than what I have now-(12x and 5mp). I noticed that the Panasonic FZ-50 allows manual focus by turning the lens manually. I don't believe it has video capability though. Are there any other superzooms that have this option?

Ideal addition to most Superzoom bridge camera! Raynox DCR2020 2.2x Telephoto, just got one for my Fuji S100fs and works a treat! The Fuji has 67mm filter thread but by using a 67mm - 62mm step down ring the Raynox fits perfect.
I'd say it vignettes up until around 200mm on the S100fs but after that right upto 400mm end its perfect so thats around 1000mm range without using the S100fs's built in 2x tele function! and i can still carry the damn thing!
Before you say it " Its not as good as a dslr with big lens" Been there done it and yes your right in some cases but if you want a great camera set-up for record shots that will do outstanding macro/landscape/video etc then get yourself a S100fs or any of the other superzooms.
The guy who bought all my Canon 1dmk2 + Sigmonster etc loves it but t'other day he was complaining about lugging it around LoL so not missing it anymore LoL

Does it fit the fz18?

Ideal addition to most Superzoom bridge camera! Raynox DCR2020 2.2x Telephoto, just got one for my Fuji S100fs and works a treat! The Fuji has 67mm filter thread but by using a 67mm - 62mm step down ring the Raynox fits perfect.
I'd say it vignettes up until around 200mm on the S100fs but after that right upto 400mm end its perfect so thats around 1000mm range without using the S100fs's built in 2x tele function! and i can still carry the damn thing!
Before you say it " Its not as good as a dslr with big lens" Been there done it and yes your right in some cases but if you want a great camera set-up for record shots that will do outstanding macro/landscape/video etc then get yourself a S100fs or any of the other superzooms.
The guy who bought all my Canon 1dmk2 + Sigmonster etc loves it but t'other day he was complaining about lugging it around LoL so not missing it anymore LoL

I had a Canon S3....and I used it often in Ecuador and in Florida. Some shots are good...but not any of them are outstanding. The noise is high. I call the shots I get with my S3 to be more ID shots and not gallery shots. But what is good to you is different from what might be to others so it is a hard call. I would do this. Find someone who has a camera like you are looking at and take some bird shots. Do the same with a Canon 450 or the like. Compare in Elements and you shall see the difference, for it is pretty obvious.

I still use my S3, but on a limited basis.

Superzoom limitations

I've been using a Canon S5 (max lens roughly 350mm equivalent) for three years. It has worked brilliantly in the USA and in South Africa.

However, last month used it in the Ebro Delta, Spain and last weekend in Costa Rica. In both places, the light was much less than I'm used to here and birds were generally further away. (A teleconverter would have helped somewhat with the distance problem but would not have helped re the low lighting.) The result was a lot of photos that are okay for ID purposes but not anything else. Very disappointing!

I've decided that I'll have to move up to a DSLR, even though I hate the idea of lugging a big-lensed beast around. I may keep using the Canon when the lighting is good, because it's a great, small, light and versatile camera - when there's lots of light around.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Last edited:
I agree, superzoom is for ID, DSLR is for the nice pictures. However nice pictures comes with heavy weight and a bigger pricetag.

However, last month used it in the Ebro Delta, Spain and last weekend in Costa Rica. In both places, the light was much less than I'm used to here and birds were generally further away. (A teleconverter would have helped somewhat with the distance problem but would not have helped re the low lighting.) The result was a lot of photos that are okay for ID purposes but not anything else. Very disappointing!

Hi Jeff,

Superzooms are definitely good light cameras in my experience also. In the right conditions, you can approach DSLR quality, but on cloudy days or in the shade my experience is as you report. Makes them good for sunny locales like Texas, AZ, and Fl, but here in the mid-Atlantic, for example, conditions for good photos are not so frequent. Haven't taken the DSLR plunge myself yet--hoping technology solves the weight vs. photo quality dilemma first.

Best,
Jim

I agree, superzoom is for ID, DSLR is for the nice pictures. However nice pictures comes with heavy weight and a bigger pricetag.

There's some cracking birds shots in the galleries on here taken with bridge/superzoom cameras, like the other guys have said providing light pretty good and you know how to actually set your camera up and use it then yes they can take shots very similar to dslrs but they do struggle with BIF shots, but for those just switch it to video mode:t:

Ok,
I have to rephrase. ;) Superzooms + me will never produce images of top quality. I can never seem to get that sort of plumage details and sharpness that the dslr-pros get, when I use my Fz18.

There's some cracking birds shots in the galleries on here taken with bridge/superzoom cameras, like the other guys have said providing light pretty good and you know how to actually set your camera up and use it then yes they can take shots very similar to dslrs but they do struggle with BIF shots, but for those just switch it to video mode:t:

Thinking of Sony

I'm really thinking about a DSLR now! Wonder if Santa Claus ....

I love Canon cameras but their DSLRs and lenses are out of my range at present. So I'm thinking Sony A230. Has good reviews. Plus a 75-300 zoom, probably Sigma or Tamron because I can't afford much over $200-$250 for the lens.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back