• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoylake Bird Observatory (1 Viewer)

I did get a few in the evening. Not got time to come onto BF much. Got a lot going on in my life.

Had a Manxie in garden airspace today. There will be more Leach's in the morning. A little alarmed about the 4 species of skua claimed, when there were only 2 skuas out there!

Three Snow Buntings yesterday - including an adult male, at the bottom of the garden. Also 56 Pinkfeet flew over a couple of weeks ago

Working in Liverpool this week on lates (2-10pm ) and next on earlys ( 8am-4pm ).
Popped into Red Rocks at 9am yesterday morning ( Parked in Stanley Road ). Didn't know what the tide would be like ( very quiet, couldn't even see the sea :smoke:). I had a wander around the Marsh, Heard two Water Rails, Plenty of Skylarks up and singing, a few Mippits, Reed Buntings, Dunnocks, C Crows, G Herons and Shelduck plus a single Kestrel. Looked out for your new observatory, but couldn't see it!.

I can see a Wheatear on the nursing home wall, as well as what may well have been a Black Restart, however its too far to be sure and I have to go out. Earlier, a Sand Martin flew past the bedroom window.

Wish this weather would stop, block for 5 weeks, then start again!

There have been a couple of Chiffchaffs flicking about in the back garden this morning. They made washing up a little more tolerable!

There was a Goldcrest in the front garden and a Chiffchaff in the back garden this morning. At least 7 Wheatears moved west up the beach

7 Willow Warblers so far this morning as well as a couple of Siskins twice and a Sand Martin and 11 Linnets. The first Sandwich Tern of the year was at sea.

and..... I was madly scanning for an Osprey at 10:15, because of the Gulls reactions.... seems my instincts were right even if my raptor spotting skills were poor! An Osprey flew behind me at 10:15!

A quiet morning today - tea on the balcony resulted in 4 Gannets, 25 Siskins in one flock, a Reed Bunting and a Swallow (all passerines vis mig)

There were three Willow Warblers feeding in the back garden yesterday evening and one singing in the front this morning, the latter clinging tenaciously on to a tree to prevent being blown inland!

There have been good numbers of Willow Warblers in the gardens today, 4 or 5 in each garden most of the day. I'm guessing 20+ must have gone through, with smaller numbers of Chiffchaffs. There have been bona fide White Wagtails since Wed pm too.

Had a nice surprise this afternoon. I was looking at a couple of Willow Warblers that were coming in to bath in the stream when I saw what I thoroughly expected to be a Dunnock acting furtively under the streamside cover... it was in fact a Grasshopper Warbler.

There was a Grasshopper Warbler singing after dusk last night, in the front garden. I'm tempted to think that its a different bird to the one in the back garden the day. Its been misty most of the day. Siskins and Redpolls are still moving through, I've seen a few Swallows whilst moving the lawn, and there are 6+ Sandwich Terns out on the tide.

There was a Chiff-thing singing this morning. "chiff chiff chiff siouu siouu siouu" Its looked like a standard collybita however. Redpolls and Siskins are still moving in good numbers 20-25 of each, and there are quite a few of the latter coming down for a drink.

The habitat in the front garden is developing nicely: The buckthorn, gorse and bramble, along with a complimentary non-spanish Sparrow to go with the non-Spanish Chiffchaff. More than enough to lose a good Sylvia in now!

Afternoon update:

The breeding Swallows are back :) I was out in appalling light failing to get a photograph of the pair of them flying about all excitedly, when they started giving alarm calls. I also failed hopelessly to get a photo of the Peregrine that came wapping through the garden, low enough for me to see its cere naked eye and that its got damage to a primary on the right wing. Has anyone notice damage to the Birkenhead male?

Attachments

• not a SPanish spug.JPG
    not a SPanish spug.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 77
  • buckthorn.JPG
    buckthorn.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 89
  • gorse and brambles.JPG
    gorse and brambles.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
It was raining this morning, but its brightening up now The Swallows made my lie easier by keeping still long enough to pose for a photo. I found the cowslips in the back garden a much easier subject though!

There has been a Comma a few times this year, and the first Holly Blue of the season was in flight yesterday.

Attachments

• swallows.JPG
    swallows.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 71
  • cowslips.JPG
    cowslips.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 64
There has been a thin trickle of migrants, Willow Warblers, Redpolls, Swallows, Siskins mostly, in the last few days. This morning there was a nice Greenland Wheatear on the roof.

Attachments

• gw.JPG
    gw.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 74
  • gw1.JPG
    gw1.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 59
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back