• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoylake Bird Observatory (2 Viewers)

I left both the balcony doors and the rear bedroom window open last night. As a result I was deafened by theWhimbrels on the night tide and woken up by a particularly enthusiastic Wood Warbler singing in the back garden at 5am. At slightly a more respectable time, I went out to see it and also blundered into the first Garden Warbler of the year.

Didn't hear the Woodlark that flew over Hilbre alas.

There were two Spotted Flycatchers and a late and rather grey Willow Warbler in the back garden yesterday, before I got distracted by my 4th north Wirral Red-rumped Swallow and the nearby Wood Sandpiper.

Today there has been a bit of a fall - I have two Sedge Warblers singing in the back garden, a Lesser Whitethroat looking rare as ever, and an unstreaked Acro in the front. It appears to be a Reed Warbler naturally, but you have to try and its hiding in the buckthorn magnificently!

Might yet be something better (I hope)

Following a phone call from Steve on Hilbre, I eventually picked up a smallish Harrier out high over the beach. It was hard to locate in a big misty sky. We shall see what Steve's photos reveal!

Really good numbers of birds outside your house the last few days including 6,000 Dunlin, 1,210 Ringed Plover, 330 Sanderling and over 700 each of Sandwich and Common Tern. 7 Grey Plover in s/pl was nice. 4 Arctic skuas on Saturday with a good passage of Gannets.

Leach's tomorrow or Wednesday?

I don't know if there was anyone on Hilbre - but so far I seem to have been the only one to have seen a Leach's today off Wirral - mine was off Red Rocks just before high tide. :)
Wednesday should bring in a lot more, and I reckon Thursday and Friday too. Wind was bit too westerly today.

I see that Jane's last post on any forum was over a month ago. Hope she is ok. Anyone know?

I'm sure Jane will respond herself - but in case she's away or very busy I can assure you she's fine, I last had an email off her on Sep 22nd. I know she has been very busy with work.

I'm sure Jane will respond herself - but in case she's away or very busy I can assure you she's fine, I last had an email off her on Sep 22nd. I know she has been very busy with work.

Thanks for that - work can be a nuisance and very time consuming!!!!

I think she may be unwell - had a text from her this afternoon and she'd not had a Leach's all day!

Blimey, she must be and it must be something serious - possible man flu? ;);)

On a serious note, there seems to be quite a number of Leach's sightings all over the coastline of the UK etc..

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back