• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

binoculars (1 Viewer)

windycleaner

hi just starting out birding and need a pair of bins I have about £100 to spend, I know it's not a fortune.Any ideas please

Thanks for your help

Recently bought Nikon 7 Prostaff 10x42.
Although they cost £200 they are excellent.
Close and distant vision are brilliant.
Waterproof,tinted glass,roof prisms and lightweight.
There was an initial problem with the focus wheel which Nikon sorted out.
Bought them through Wilkinsons the northern based Camera and optics retailers.
They provide excellent customer service.
To be honest I think it would be better putting the £100 towards a more expensive pair.
I met a couple recently who wasted that sort of figure on two pairs of Bressler.
They rued the day they bought them!

You should be able to get a decent pair if you look around - In my experience:
1) Porro prism binoculars tend to be a lot better than roofs at comparable prices but the gap seems to be closing, 2) Waterproof binoculars sound good but I can't remember having an issue with water with any of my non- waterproof ones over the years
3) I would go with 8x for general birding. 10x is fine also for the UK - (you generally want lower mag in jungle etc)
4) I like a large field of view (FOV)
5) Close focus can be handy as well

I have never used them but something like the Nikon Action EX 7x35 CF or something with similar specs would be what I would be looking for with your budget

thanks for your advice, they seem to tick all the box's for me at this time.

If you get them let us know what you think. I`m a big Porro fan, but at £100 there`s not many I like, the Opticron tga` are ok but a bit flimsy, and below that not particularly special, the T3 is pretty well built and offers all we expect in a modern optic, close focus, wp etc.

John.

I have a pair of Nikon Aculon 10x50's which I bought for astronomy but have recently tried them birding and like them a lot. Nice crisp imaging and the focus is very precise. Can be had for £100 from Amazon and they do an 8x42 set as well.

My only criticism would be there is noticeable chromatic aberration (purple fringing) at times which seems to me to be most noticeable in the periphery vision - something catches your eye, you see it, lok toward it and its gone. Very soon get used to it though and the build quality is up to what you would expect from Nikon.

They are quite large though and I am looking for something in the 8x33 range for general carrying around and to have on me at all times...

Also check out the Visionary Freebird 8x42 on Amazon for £130. I am blown away by mine - excellent for the price. Check out my mini review in the Other section in the Binoculars forum.

Waterproof, phase coated prisms, good field of view and really nice clear bright images. I tested them against some in the £3-400 range and nothing was close. I have also put them up against the RSPB 8x42 BG PC's (a very highly rated binocular) and I couldn't discern any difference in the RSPB's that would make me want to spend another £220 on them...

I couldn't decide which magnification to get, so I bought 2 pairs. An Opticron Oregon 4 LE WP 8x32 and a Nikon Monarch 7 10x42.

I'd say put your 100 quid towards a Monarch 7 or any decent mid-range binoculars. Zeiss Conquest HD are good if you can afford them. That way, it will take longer for you to get bored with the cheap binos and thinking of getting those alphas! ;)

Also check out the Visionary Freebird 8x42 on Amazon for £130. I am blown away by mine - excellent for the price. Check out my mini review in the Other section in the Binoculars forum.

Waterproof, phase coated prisms, good field of view and really nice clear bright images. I tested them against some in the £3-400 range and nothing was close. I have also put them up against the RSPB 8x42 BG PC's (a very highly rated binocular) and I couldn't discern any difference in the RSPB's that would make me want to spend another £220 on them...

Just got these for £115 and you have got it spot on, lovely binoculars. Thanks for the info. ;)

Porro or roof

hi just starting out birding and need a pair of bins I have about £100 to spend, I know it's not a fortune.Any ideas please

Inexpensive porro prism models will give a better image than the same price roof prisms unless the roofs are phase coated / phase corrected.
Water proof also means dust proof / sand proof / fungus proof and condensation proof. All good reasons for buying a water proof model.

If you can, get along to a shop.
Reputable optic shops will be delighted to let you try as many as it takes to get you into a pair of binoculars.
Example - a good friend has just bought his first pair of birding bins.
He has watching boat bins as well as a few vintage pairs.
However, I took him to Cley a few weeks ago to the NWT reserve.
There happens to be a Cley Spy "shop" there, which I didn't know about.
The guy on duty spent nearly an hour getting him into a pair of Hawke 8 x 42 at about £80, despite the fact he could have sold him something more expensive.
I'm sure in a city the size of Hull, you'll find somewhere

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back