• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (49 Viewers)

Wow, well done on the tigers Sue! 2 Redstarts, Red Kite, 4 Ring Ouzels and a Nightingale at Holme today (see NOA website)! see what happens when I go to school...

Hi my name is Barry I am new to this so please be patient with me.
I have been reading all things about norfolk and I am impressed with your reports I have been a birder on and off for about 10 years now but reading your reports has brought me back into it.
I went to Hempton yesterday, arrived at 09:00, a bit misty but ok good site for the size of it, all the usual tits plus black cap, march tit, tree creeper, chiff chaff, reed bunting, and I cant be sure but what it looked like in the very far distance a male sparrow hawk. Then moved to Holme, Red start, ring ousel,short eared owl meadow/tree pipits, wheatear, goldcrest in the firs. sorry I have not put in the numbers but as I said I have never done this before. Keep up the good work and I will try to do more soon.

Last edited:
matt green said:
Thanks Penny and Ilya

It's doubtfull my inland patch will stretch to a Ring Ouzel (ever hopefull tho!)
but I usually get wheatears on the horse paddocks etc.

Timing of these sightings seems to be a little more critical inland?, nice to hear there are plenty around though.

Matt

Nice evening down at Buckenham Marsh, refound the ring ouzel - a good inland record (thanks to whoever found it at lunchtime), it was calling quite a lot and fed on the edge of the dyke by the main footpath(pics) and then spotted a pair of garganey right at the end of a dyke that goes off to the left as you walk towards the river.The pools by the fishermans carpark had green sandpiper, 6 avocet,3 dunlin and a few snipe.In the distance by the mill I could see several black t godwits but light was beginning to fade.

Male redstart - Glandford

Now seems to have moved on after four hours of voracious feeding - was on the track that forms part of the Bayfield walk....(1545hrs).

Rouzels still at Salthouse, both near the beach at Little Eye, but also near Nightingale Corner in closest horse paddock.

lomond said:
Hi my name is Barry I am new to this so please be patient with me.
I have been reading all things about norfolk and I am impressed with your reports I have been a birder on and off for about 10 years now but reading your reports has brought me back into it.
I went to Hempton yesterday, arrived at 09:00, a bit misty but ok good site for the size of it, all the usual tits plus black cap, march tit, tree creeper, chiff chaff, reed bunting, and I cant be sure but what it looked like in the very far distance a male sparrow hawk. Then moved to Holme, Red start, ring ousel,short eared owl meadow/tree pipits, wheatear, goldcrest in the firs. sorry I have not put in the numbers but as I said I have never done this before. Keep up the good work and I will try to do more soon.

Hello Barry, and the customary warm welcome to you to BF as a new poster. Look forward to hearing more from you. Presumably you're not too far from the heaths at Buxton/Hevingham - good for nightjar, i believe, although I've never been there.
Nigel

o:)
nigelt said:
Hello Barry, and the customary warm welcome to you to BF as a new poster. Look forward to hearing more from you. Presumably you're not too far from the heaths at Buxton/Hevingham - good for nightjar, i believe, although I've never been there.
Nigel

Hi Nigel. Yes not far at all i can see cawston/buxton heath from my house, I have not been here long so not had a chance to explore yet but as you say should be good for night jar and also nightingale so Ihave been told.

not been out since the weekend but should go out tomorrow evening possable hempton. Thanks for the welcome. Barry.

Last edited:
Buxton Heath is the best spot for nightjars in Norfolk I reckon. Absolutely fantastic views last year - and met a party down from Liverpool specially for them.

HarassedDad said:
Buxton Heath is the best spot for nightjars in Norfolk I reckon. Absolutely fantastic views last year - and met a party down from Liverpool specially for them.

I have never heard of that site before but the best site I have been to in Norfolk, and easiest to get to, is by the side of Sandringham. 300 yards from the Wolferton Triangle. You park your car 100 yards from the site.

John

Tim Allwood said:
3 Ring Ouzels in the village paddocks tonight - looked gorgeous strutting about on the short turf... and only two mins walk from home!

plus 3 White Wags at Waxham

Tim

Hey Tim,

Welcome back hope you had a gud trip! Cley tonight I had Merlin, Peregrine,Bittern (boomer) Arctic Skua,2 Med Gulls, 25 Ruff, 8 Golden Plover, 50+ Sand Martin, 3 Cetti's also a colour ringed White Wag that I missed.

Spk soon Ta C

Wonderful afternoon at Holme with 2 Ring Ousels, 2 Swallows, 1 Lesser Whitethroat, 2 Sandwich Terns and the Short-eared Owl quartering Holme Marsh. Butterflies included Brown Argus, Small Copper, Green-veined White and 4 Speckled Woods all enjoying the sun as I was!
Sue

red kite over Titchwell at lunchtime (having struggled to see one in Norfolk until last year I'v enow had three so far this year), also a cuckoo there.

gorgeous sunny day, long may this continue !

Walked the Somerton boat dyke - Martham village loop this morning with the good lady. Singing in the woods by Martham broad... Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Gt Tit, Chiffchaff, Blue Tit

around and about - c8 Marsh Harriers, 2 Sparrowhawks, several singing Cetti's

7 Swallows around Martham boatyard, 1 Sedge Warbler on the fishing pits & 2 Wheatears in a dusty field between martham Damgate & West Somerton

Speckled wood, Peacock, Brimstone, Small tortoiseshell butterflies, 1 grass snake and 2 newly emerged 'small red' damselflies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back