• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 100-300mm f/4 (1 Viewer)

billsbirding

Hi all,

I've been shooting with a Nikon D60 for a good few years now, and am hoping to make the upgrade to a D7000 when they come back into stock. In the meantime, I've been doing a bit of research into telephoto lenses, as my trusty Nikon 70-300mm VR is starting to restrict me, in terms of focal reach. Whilst browsing, the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 caught my eye; with a number of good reviews, and a pretty reasonable price tag. Does anyone have any experience with this lens? How does the auto-focus fair in terms of wildlife photography?

Would also be interesting to know how it copes with the Sigma 2x teleconverter? Obviously, you'd expect to lose a few stops, but you'd also effectively have a very useful 600mm, I assume.

Thanks in advance

Hi Billy

This lens was my mainstay until sigma did the decent thing and updated the 50-500 with OS 18 months ago. The 100-300 is a great lens, constant f4 and internal focus and zoom and optically very good even wide open - and it's relatively light too (especially compared to the 50-500!). However, as ever when taking photos of birds I always felt 300 just wan't quite enough - hence the move to the 50-500. It was great if you could get close but I invariably found that the cropping required to get a reasonable image size was defeated by the laws of physics.

I never tried the 2x converter but have the 1.4x and one period of use was enough to show that the loss of IQ over-shadowed any gain in magnification, I imagine the 2x could only be worse.

The attached image is a crop at 100% taken at 300mm, f5, 1/640 and iso 200. This is an out of camera jpeg and I have the sharpening turned off hence the slightly soft appearance - with a little sharpening it looks rather better.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• Spotted Eagle Owl crop.jpg
    Spotted Eagle Owl crop.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 162
Hi Billy

This lens was my mainstay until sigma did the decent thing and updated the 50-500 with OS 18 months ago. The 100-300 is a great lens, constant f4 and internal focus and zoom and optically very good even wide open - and it's relatively light too (especially compared to the 50-500!). However, as ever when taking photos of birds I always felt 300 just wan't quite enough - hence the move to the 50-500. It was great if you could get close but I invariably found that the cropping required to get a reasonable image size was defeated by the laws of physics.

I never tried the 2x converter but have the 1.4x and one period of use was enough to show that the loss of IQ over-shadowed any gain in magnification, I imagine the 2x could only be worse.

The attached image is a crop at 100% taken at 300mm, f5, 1/640 and iso 200. This is an out of camera jpeg and I have the sharpening turned off hence the slightly soft appearance - with a little sharpening it looks rather better.

Cheers

Peter

Sorry Peter, only just seen your reply. Thanks for the info regarding performance with a teleconverter. In the end I decided to sacrifice the possibility of a holiday for the next ten years, and go for the 120-300mm f2.8. I've no doubt the 100-300mm is a great piece of glass, but the extra few stops, and optical stabilisation swayed it for me.

Thanks again.

I had a dissapointing copy of this lens on a Canon mount. Wide open it was fine, but mine was a bit softer at 300mm and far from stellar. With a 1.4x TC it was even softer and so i decided to sell it and get a 400mm f5.6L instead. I'm pretty sure my copy was a poor copy because I've seen some great work from other guys with this lens.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back